What was that?

Everyone sits in front of you, waiting to hear what you have to say.

"What's wrong Y/N?" Leo asks, knowing by your face that something big has happened

"A little while ago I applied to work for the CIA," You take a deep breath, "and I've just received a letter saying I've been accepted to come and start the process."

"Wow! That's so cool, congrats y/n!" Mikey cheers.

"Hey good for you," Raph says with a cheeky grin.

You see all the turtles smiling at you, supporting you, and you smile back at all of them, enjoying the moment before you have to give them the hard news.

"I leave in a week for training," You say quietly. The previously cheerful room falls quiet. Sure, the concept of this happening for you was exciting, but in that excitement, everyone had forgotten that you don't go and train for something like this just anywhere.

"How long will you be gone?" Donnie asks.

"I don't know." You say. "They haven't told me. But I'm going to guess around a year and a half maybe more. I know I already have some training from the police force and everything I've learned from you all, but that doesn't mean I'll be sped through the agenda. And even after all of that I might not be able to come back right away."

"Why?" Mikey asks.

"It depends on where I get assigned." You say

"Couldn't you ask to be stationed in New York?" Raph asks.

"Maybe. I don't know," You say "But it's doubtful as I will be a rookie."

Your gaze had been on the floor as you were unable to meet your friends' faces. They'd done and been so much to and for you. They'd taken you in and become your new family. You briefly wondered if it would've hurt this much leaving your parents. But that's a whole bunch of what if's that you didn't have time for. Your Mom and Dad would have been very proud of you, and you knew your new family was too, but you were leaving them and that always made for tears. You steel yourself for the sad eyes and questioning looks of your friends. You know this is the right thing to do and choose to cling to the words that Splinter has said. You'd come into their lives for a reason and family always makes it way back together. You look up to see everyone but the one that you were scared of leaving behind the most. Leo was no longer on the couch, instead, it looked like he was heading for his room.

"Leo?" You call, spotting his retreating form.

"I'll be right back" Leo promises "I've just gotta grab something from my room."

"Oh, ok...." You say, flopping onto the beanbag.

"You ok, Y/N?" Mikey asks

"I think so" You reply

"You think so?" Raph says "It's a yes or no question."

"I know," You sigh, "I'm just not sure exactly how to feel about all this."

"Aren't you happy? You're the one that made this decision." Donnie says

"I know!" You sigh, again "But that still doesn't help the doubt I'm feeling..."

"About?" Raph asks

"Leaving Le...you guys" You quickly correct yourself

"Sorry, what was that?" Raph asks, smirking