Chapter 21: Was Tragic...

________________________________

George has sent me a letter.

I have a letter from George.

Holy shit.

________________________________

Dream POV

I could barely contain my excitement.

GEORGE HAS SENT ME A LETTER

"Who's that from?" My cellmate asked. His name's Chris. Chris Richards. He's an almost-good guy. Yeah, he committed arson, but so did I.

"My ex."

"George?"

"Yeah. My ex boyfriend."

"Cool, cool. I had a brother who's gay. He's dead now though. Aids. Was tragic."

"I'm sorry for your loss."

"Thank you man. That means a lot."

He must have a fucking screw loose. I don't give a shit about his dead, gay, brother. That's mean but I had priorities. Despite that, I also don't want to get beaten up. I listened to twenty minutes of his backstory before he finally left for the yard.

I can open it. I can open George's letter.

"To Clay,

"It's been a while. I miss your voice. I miss your everything. I'm trying to do well. I'm succeeding some days. It's hard."

Me too, George. Me too. I miss his laugh so much. I'd do anything to hear it again. I want to see him. But I don't want him to see me. That does make sense. Right?

"I watch movies and I go on walks to try and get used to life without you. I didn't realise you were such a big portion of my day until you were gone."

I like to remember our dates when I can. It hurts that they're slowly fading. It hurts that I'm starting to forget what he sounds like. It hurts that I'm starting to forget the ins and outs of parts of his body I took the time to memorise. I'm forgetting the feel of his skin against mine and the feel of his sweet, soft lips.

"I did something bad. So very bad. And I feel so guilty for doing so. You told me it was okay but it feels so wrong. Everything feels wrong without you."

I'm sure it can't be that bad. George couldn't ever do anything to hurt me. He feels guilty. What could he feel guilty for- Oh. George is with someone. George is seeing someone. That's okay. I told him he could. Not that it's my choice. George is his own person. He can do what he wants. I'm allowed to be annoyed. Right?

"I hope you're okay, really. I can't wait to see you again. I don't care who you think you are, you'll always be Clay to me. The Clay who would sing me to sleep. The Clay who would care for me and keep me safe. The Clay that I love."

He wants to see me again. He wants me. I'm losing myself in here. He's what's grounding me. Well, the idea of him. The fantasy of seeing him again. I miss singing. I can't really do much of it here or I'll get punched.

"So, for now,

Goodbye, my love.

Yours forever, George."

Mine forever?

So George isn't seeing someone. I'm so confused.

Now, for Nick's letter.

"To Clay,

Hey, it's me. I don't usually write so this is odd.

A little update. George is doing better. He has some off days. Like last month, for example. I won't tell you exactly what happened, it's not important. He went off the rails and started talking about how his only purpose in life was you. And now you're gone, he doesn't have one.