Chapter 39: Don't Give Up On Me

____________________________

They thought it would be emotionally tormenting for me to wake up to almost nothing everyday, but George was my almost nothing and I'm not giving up on him.

Not again.

____________________________

Dream POV

Its been three weeks since the accident. I've been awake a week.

A week, consciously, without George.

Its hard. I hurt him again. I never intend to. How do I end up doing it so much when it's the only thing I've tried to avoid?

I talk to him everyday. Obviously, he doesn't respond. We've been through this before. I'm hopeful. I have to be. Nick's losing hope. So are the doctors. I don't care. George will wake up.

I prayed. I told him I'd pray for him if I ever needed to. I really hoped I wouldn't have to. But here we are.

Here I am.

Here, is sat next to George. I got discharged last night. So I don't have to be here anymore. But I stay anyway. I'm not leaving George.

The doctors tell me to.

They say there's no way we can tell if he'll wake up.

When. There's no way we can tell when he'll wake up.

"Hey, George. I'm back. Again. Always. I cleaned the house today. Your house. I burnt most of Daniels stuff. He deserves nothing more. He's in prison now, anyway. Which you don't know. And you won't if you don't wake up. Please, George. Please hear me. Please wake up."

No response.

"I have so much to tell you. I have so much to apologise for. I have so much to say. But I can't say it if you cant listen."

I hung my head. I reached for his hand.

"Please, George."

My voice broke.

"I need you."

Still no response.

I got up, ready to leave. I hovered by the door, hoping, just like before, that he'd sit up and say something. All that time ago, in the hospital, for the second time. Just the small 'Almost' would do.

Just like before. He'll wake up. Yes, it's taking a little longer this time. But I can't lose hope.

---

Another week passed. Seven more prayers. Seven more days of me begging for him to wake up.

Seven times where Nick told me to stop going. To stop having false hope. Seven times walking to and from the hospital. I don't mind. Its not that far.

So here I was, walking home, just like yesterday. And the day before. Its not any different. I'm not any less hopeful.

That was a lie. I'm losing hope. Its not my fault. The doctors keep talking and talking about how the probability of him waking up is getting lower by the day and I don't know what to do. I love him. I can't live without him. I need him.

I can't accept that. His sister is already acting like he's passed, making funeral plans. It's so unlikely he'll wake up they're considering pulling the plug. I can't let them. I'm not giving up. I'm holding on for as long as possible. George needs every chance he has.

The hospital calls me everyday to try and persuade me to let them kill George. Obviously, they don't kill him. They just stop keeping him alive. And I can't. I can't let them do that. That's not fair on George. That's not fair on me.

I'm selfish. I've told him that. I've told them that. I need George.

George is.. What is George?

He's my person.

He's someone I could always go to and I'd feel safe and comforted. He's someone I'd always, always, put above myself. He's someone I could call at 3am that would always pick up.

He loved me. I loved him.

So much went wrong.

Most of how your life ends up is determined by the actions of other people.

If George hadn't come to Florida.

If he hadn't had broken up with Daniel.

If Nick didn't volunteer to come to our meet up.

If George hadn't kissed me.

If Noah didn't... do what he did.

If the guy I hired disposed of the body.

If there were no taxis available the morning of February 25th 2021.

If my lawyers hadn't have got me out a month early.

If Daniel hadn't attacked me.

Everything would've been different.

I was running home now. I needed to forget. I needed to stop thinking.

---

They're turning his life support off on Friday.

Its been a month since the accident. He's showing no signs of improvement. Nick talked to me last night. We had to talk about it all.

Me waking up was a miracle.

They're called miracles for a reason.

I haven't processed it yet, I know that. It hurts to even comprehend anything that'll happen in two days.

George was never meant to die. I hate putting those two words in the same sentence.

It should've been me.

I was driving. It should've been me.

I don't feel anything. There's so much to feel I just can't. I can't do it. I can't process. I can't let him go. I can't do it. I can't do this without him.

After they called to tell me, I broke down. I couldn't breathe.

I'd tried to give him enough time. I'd prayed and I'd wished and I'd done everything to help. I'd tried and I'd tried. No ones listening to me. Not even Nick. He just thinks I'm stupid for thinking he could wake up. I know it's unlikely. But I need it. I need him.

How many times? How many times do I have to say this until someone listens?

All I had to do was protect George and I failed. I've failed.

They can't cut him off. He just needs more time. I know he's trying. He's trying to come back to me, I know it. There's no way he's not.

I was walking to the hospital when the doctors rang me. They were probably ringing to ask how I was handling the news.

Not fucking well.

"Hello?"

"Hi, is this Clay?"

"It is, yes."

"I don't know what you've done, young man, but it's worked."

"I'm not following."

"He moved."

_________________________________

1074 Words

This is a dnf story

That means it can't be too sad.

I mean what else could POSSIBLY go wrong..

Think about all they've been through already. Tragic.

It's not going to be easy to forget, that's for sure