Chapter 31: I Defended You

____________________________

Not as many people cheered this time. We were all tired. So, so tired.

____________________________

George POV

It's the first of January 2023.

Me and Daniel had gone to bed just after midnight. There wasn't much reason to stay up later. Its just another day.

Its currently 5am in the morning and Daniel should be in bed next to me. That's why feeling such a cold emptiness sleeping next to me was such a surprise.

I sat up and wiped my eyes. Where the fuck was he? I picked up my phone and realised I had two missed calls. He called me at 3am?

I called him back.

"Hello?"

"Heyyyyy... Georgie babyyy.."

"Are you drunk? Where are you? Do you need me to pick you up?"

He didn't say anything. Instead, I heard a voice on the other side of the phone. It was a woman's voice. She was giggling and telling him to 'put the phone down so we can have more fun'.

"Who is that? Oh god. No, no, no."

"Look, George. It's not what it sounds like."

He could tell I was panicking. I couldn't breathe.

"I'm on my way home right now. Don't worry, baby. Everything will be fine."

He ended the call.

He's with a woman. They had 'fun'. He's drunk. I'm alone. It's 5am.

I rung Nick. I was panicking and he can help me calm down. He should be on his way home from the airport in Texas by now.

"Hey, George. I'm actually almost home so if you wait like five minutes I can hop on discord and we can talk-"

"He cheated on me."

Silence.

"What? Wait, wait...what?? When?"

"Just now. He's with a girl. They were 'having fun' and he's drunk. He said it's not what it sounds like but it sounds pretty fucking obvious."

I didn't know whether to cry or be really angry.

"Oh, George. I'm so sorry. Fuck. I.. What are you going to do?"

"I don't know." I was sobbing now.

How am I never enough?

"Look, I can get the next flight back if you need me to, I'll beat his ass. Just give me the word."

"No, no. I'll deal with it. Don't tell anyone else yet, though. I'm not ready for all the 'I told you so' quite yet."

"George... You really think we'd be like that right now? You're hurting. We aren't complete assholes. If you need them, they will be there for you. Don't be afraid to call us, ever."

"I know, I know. Hey, Alex was right for once."

I sniffed and wiped my eyes. I even forced out a little laugh.

"George..."

"I have to go, he's at the door."

"Okay, be safe and I love-"

I ended the call.

My heart was racing. I wanted to cry. I wanted to scream. I'm not entirely sure what's behind this door. But I won't find out if I don't open it.