Chapter 8

Ashlyn could feel sweat forming on her forehead and her ponytail was already sticking to the back of her neck. She had been running for at least an hour but she didn't feel tired at all. Running five times a week had really made her into good shape. She enjoys the warm breeze as she ran by herself. The park near the Elton's house was beautiful and peaceful but somehow deserted. Ashlyn guessed the residents here were all lazy to even enjoy the park. What a waste.

"Stop running you freak!" an angry voice was heard.

Ashlyn turned, assuming it was intended for her because the last time she checked, she was the only one running. And also the fact that she was also called a freak today by some annoying cheerleader. Ashlyn doesn't want to name names but the cheerleader's name rhymes with Diranda. Twenty feet away, a big burly man was chasing a woman who had bruises on her face. Ashlyn gasped when the man managed to catch up with the woman and pulled her hair back hard. The woman yelled in pain. Ashlyn would be surprised if her neck wasn't broken.

"Shut up!" The man demanded. "Now where's my money?"

"I don't have it." The woman cried. "Please don't hurt me!"

The man landed a slap on the poor woman's face. Ashlyn winced even though she wasn't the one feeling the pain.

"I'm going to ask you one more time." Burly man said menacingly. "Where is my money?"

"I swear I don't have it. I've gave it all to you already!" The woman shook in fear.

The man poised his hand up as if ready to attack the woman again. Seeing that there wasn't anyone around, Ashlyn felt the need to do something. Her eyes searched around until it landed on a small stone. Ashlyn picked it up and hurled it at the man. The stone hit directly at the back of his head.

"What the-" The man rubbed his head and glowered in Ashlyn's direction.

"Go pick on someone your own size, stupid!" Ashlyn shouted.

The man took a few steps towards Ashlyn and then the woman took that opportunity to run. The burly man cursed as he realised he had let his victim escape. "You are going to pay for this, kid!" He said fiercely.

"I don't think so." Ashlyn said. She wasn't afraid at all. She was confident she could out run him anyway since the man doesn't seem to be that fit. Ashlyn had expected the man to charge towards her but instead he took out his cell phone and dialled in some numbers. After about ten seconds of murmuring something to the other line, he hung up and laughed bitterly at Ashlyn.

"You are so going to regret this. I'm gonna get you!" He made his way towards Ashlyn slowly.

"Sorry to burst your bubble but if you want to catch me, you're gonna have to move faster than that." Said Ashlyn.

Then, out of nowhere, someone in a grey hoodie grabbed Ashlyn's arm. "What are you doing? Run!" He ordered. He was pulling her with him as they ran in the opposite direction.

"Let go of me!" Ashlyn tried to pull her arm free. She doesn't know why but people here love to pull her arm. That was the second time she had her arm being pulled today. "Who are you?" Ashlyn asked.

"Shhh!" The hoodie guy hissed. He led them into the forest that surrounds the park and dragged Ashlyn with him to hide behind a bush. One of his hands was covering Ashlyn's mouth and the other was pointing in the direction of the park as if telling Ashlyn to watch. "Wait and see." He whispered into Ashlyn's ear.