Chapter 40

Saying that it took a lot of work getting out of bed in the morning would be a complete and utter understatement. School had never been easy for Ashlyn. It had been two days since the fight between Max and Levi and while the gossip spree had died down, there were still a few annoying students who were still giving her the curious stares.

Ashlyn reached out for her cell phone on her nightstand to turn off the alarm she had set last night. Her heart suddenly skipped a beat when she saw that she had one unread message. She doesn't even know why she's feeling anxious to read it. For all she knew, it could be one of her female friends who texted her. Taking a deep breath in, she tapped on her inbox.

My bruises are still here. Looks
like I'm not coming to school tomorrow.
Don't miss me too much.
Just kidding.
Not really.
-Max
1.32a.m

Ashlyn momentarily felt relieved but at the same time she felt a painful pang in her chest. Swallowing that uninvited feeling away, she typed in a reply to Max.

How can I even miss you when
you're constantly texting me?
-Ashlyn
7.46a.m

Pushing her covers aside, Ashlyn got up from her bed and head to the bathroom. After getting ready and making sure she got everything she needed for school, Ashlyn made her way downstairs and into the kitchen.

"Morning Alan." She said, taking a seat on one of the stools. "Where's my mum?"

"Morning Ashlyn." Alan smiled and handed her a glass of orange juice. "Your mum went to the shop. She wanted to make some toast for breakfast but we ran out of bread. Just give her ten minutes and I'm sure she'll be home soon."

"It's okay. It's getting pretty late anyway." Ashlyn stood up from her seat and took an apple from the fruit basket. "Can you call Jaime for me? I'll wait in the garage."

"Sure thing."

Ashlyn leaned against Jaime's car while eating her apple. A few minutes later, Jaime entered the garage with a tired look on his face. He let out a long sigh as he put in the keys to turn on the ignition.

"What's wrong with you?" Ashlyn asked as she settled onto the passenger seat.

"It's gonna be a long day today." Jaime grumbled, putting on his seatbelt. "I've got water polo practice today."

"I thought you like playing that awful sport."

"I do but my Coach had been drilling the team extra hard. You should have seen him that day, Ash." Jaime shook his head. "He was furious when Max and Levi didn't turn up for practice on the day of that fighting incid—" He trailed off after realising the situation. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have brought that up."

"What are you sorry for? It is what it is." Ashlyn shrugged her shoulders casually, trying to hide what she really felt inside. "Anyway, Max told me he's not coming to school today either. You know how his mum is."

Max had told her that his mum absolutely refused to let him show his face in school until the bruises were gone. Seeing that his mum is a teacher in their school, Ashlyn understood why she would be embarrassed if her fellow colleagues in school sees her son in that condition.

"That's too bad. Coach would be a lot more nicer if at least one of his captains came. Hopefully Levi shows up for practice today." Jaime said, finally moving the car. "He hasn't been coming to school for the past two days either."

So that was why she hasn't seen him in school lately, Ashlyn thought to herself. Not that she was looking for him or anything. She just thought that Levi had fallen from the face of the planet because his frequent text messages and phone calls had stopped as well. Not that she cared, of course. It's for the best anyway.