Chapter 51

Levi's words hung in the heavy atmosphere surrounding them in the tiny space. Even the things they say to each other seems to hurt now.

"I guessed we're just not meant to be." Ashlyn repeated to herself. She felt her body grew cold as if all the warmth she had before had left. She rubbed her palms on her forearms to create heat.

"You should head back to Max." Levi spoke, noticing her actions.

Ashlyn nodded her head. Levi was right. Max must be so worried by now. She placed her hand on the handle of the door before turning back around to face him. "Aren't you coming too?"

Levi shook his head. "Nah. I think I'm calling it a night."

"Ouh."

"Hey, Ash?" Levi called.

"Yeah?"

He gave her a small smile. "You look great."

The word "great" was nothing compared to all the praises she received that night. It was probably the most underwhelming compliment ever. But yet, it meant the most to her.

A few weeks ago, she never thought she'll have a decent conversation with Levi ever again. Ashlyn wanted to take full advantage of it. Right here, right now, it's just the two of them. No one to interrupt them. No one to pressurise them to be fake. Ashlyn was afraid after the night is over, she'll never ever get the chance again. She wanted to know everything that was wrong. She wanted closure.

"I have to ask you something before I go." She let go of the door handle and gave him her full attention.

"What is it?" Levi raised an eyebrow.

This is it. Ashlyn took a deep breath. "Why did you kissed Miranda?"

Levi's face remained calm but she saw him licked his bottom lips as if his mouth suddenly went dry.

"Well?" Ashlyn probed him when Levi didn't respond. "I'm willing to listen right now."

Two minutes of utter silent went by before Levi cleared his throat. "It was for the best." His voice came out hoarse.

Disappointment swallowed her. "That's it?" Weeks ago, back when she first confronted Levi about his kiss with Miranda, she flat out refused to hear him explain. But now that she gave him a chance, that was all he could say to her?

Levi nodded his head slowly, diverting his eyes to his black leather shoes instead. "That's it."

What was she expecting anyway? Was she expecting Levi to say something that would justify his kiss with Miranda? Ashlyn internally laughed at her stupid self for even having a tiny inch of hope in her heart. "Okay." Was all she said before pushing the door open and leaving her past behind.

*****************************************************

Ashlyn made her way through the crowd to get to the table. Max was still seated there, fidgeting in his seat and his eyes were scanning the room. Once he saw her, Max instantly stood up and marched towards her.

"Where have you been?" His voice sounded alarmed yet concerned at the same time.

"Sorry. I was just...talking to Levi." She said.

Noticing her distraught look, Max cupped her face. "Did he do anything to you?"

"No." Ashlyn croaked out but she felt her lips tingle. "Max, would you mind if we go home now? I don't feel good."