Chapter 38

All afternoon Levi had been sending her text messages but none that she even read. Instead, Ashlyn had simply pressed delete. And to make the rest of her school hours worst, she was called to the principal's office. Again. But this time it wasn't Levi. Ms Clarise was waiting for her there with a deep frown on her wrinkled face.

"You must have known who broke into the principal's office." Ms Clarise said, folding her arms. "You were after all the student that was being called at the time of my absence."

Ashlyn sighed. Leave it to Levi to get her in trouble. "I've told you already. I don't know who did it." She lied. Something in her just couldn't throw Levi under the bus. "I came here as I was told to and like you said, the principal's door was locked so I couldn't get in. Seeing that you weren't there either, I just went back to class." Ashlyn shrugged her shoulders, poker face still intact.

"Fine, that's all for now Ms Miller. But let me tell you that breaking into the principal's office is a serious offence and upon further investigation, if you are ever found guilty, you would be expelled." Ms Clarise gave her one last hard stare before sending her away.

"Great." Ashlyn huffed out in annoyance as she walked away. Now she's on the headmistress's watch list. Thanks Levi. Thanks a lot.

"Mum! I'm home." She called out and laid on the couch. So much had happened within the span of eight hours that she felt emotionally drained.

"Ashlyn! Finally you're back!" Laura came into the living room with a paper and pen in hand. "I was writing down names for the wedding invitations. I want to know who else you wanted to invite. Let's see..." Laura's eyes scanned the list. "I have Levi, Becky---"

"Cancel Levi's name please." Ashlyn cut her off.

"But why?" Her mum looked at her anxiously. "Don't tell me..."

Laura didn't need to finish her sentenced before Ashlyn nodded her head. "Yup. We're over."

"Oh honey!" She gave her daughter a hug. "I'm so sorry. You must be hurting right now!"

"Mum, I'm okay." Ashlyn pried herself off from her mum's embrace. "It was my decision anyway."

"But what happened?" Laura brushed Ashlyn's hair tenderly. "I never thought Levi would ever hurt you. He seemed so genuine and sweet every time I see him."

Ashlyn waved her hand dismissively, not wanting to talk about it. "Well, things happen and we just went our separate ways. So anyway," She tried to think of another topic. Any topic would do. As long as it doesn't leave a searing pain in her chest. "When is the wedding? If I'm not wrong, Alan said that the wedding would be in two or three months and now its almost half a year since we moved in! What's taking so long?"

Laura gave her a pointed look, noticing her obvious attempt at changing the subject. But nonetheless, she knew better than to probe her stubborn daughter. "There are just so much things to do! Can you believe that I haven't even found an officiator for the wedding yet! And besides, Alan and I had decided to take things slow. To let you and Jaime get adjusted first."

Ashlyn watched with ease as her mum talked animatedly. Even though her mum was complaining about how tedious and hard the wedding is but yet she was still smiling throughout. Ashlyn could see the excitement in Laura's eyes. Without realising it, Ashlyn had wrapped her arms around her beloved mother. "You don't have to worry about me anymore. I've grown to accept Alan because I know he makes you happy."