Chapter 17

The next day, Ashlyn had a rather peaceful class because a particular someone wasn't there to throw little notes at her. Apparently all the water polo boys are excused from classes because of the big game after school. Ashlyn hadn't intended to watch the game but Becky insisted she should come. So that was why she found herself sitting on the bleachers after school, together with almost all the student population, overlooking the school's swimming pool when she could have been at home watching a movie. Ashlyn waited impatiently for Becky for almost twenty minutes and she was about to lose it.

"Where is Becky? She's the one who begged me to come and now she's not here!" Ashlyn grumbled under her breath.

The opposing team from West Creek High had came and were already doing their stretches. The game would start any minute now and her friend was still not in sight. Ashlyn scanned the crowd but was suddenly blocked by a big fluffy being.

"You made it! Oh my god! I need your help!" The school mascot, Empire High's Grizzly Bear, pulled Ashlyn down the bleachers and towards the girls' bathroom. Once inside, the bear mascot locked the door and hugged a very confused Ashlyn.

Ashlyn pushed away the bear from her. "Get away from me you stupid bear! Do I know you?" She furrowed her eyebrows.

"It's me silly!" The bear removed it's headpiece to reveal a sweating Becky.

"Becky!" Ashlyn laughed. "What are you doing in that costume?"

Becky's face contorted in pain as she clutched her stomach. "I'll explain later. But first I need your help. I need you to be the mascot for a while." She said and hand Ashlyn the bear costume's headpiece. Becky unzipped the rest of the costume before Ashlyn stopped her.

"Woah there Becky." Ashlyn dropped the headpiece on the floor. "What do you mean I have to be the mascot? I.Am.Not.Wearing.That.Thing." She pointed to the costume in Becky's hand.

"Please Ash!" Becky begged. "This is really important."

"Tell me what this is about first because as far as I know, Eddie Fitch is the school's designated mascot."

Becky sighed. "I overheard the Coach talking to the principal about Eddie having a chest tournament today and they don't have anyone to wear the mascot. Since I thought that being a school mascot would show my school spirit, I volunteered because it would definitely help in my college applications."

Ashlyn nodded slowly, digesting everything Becky had said. "Oookayy...but what does this have to do with me putting that smelly thing on?" She pointed to the headpiece on the floor.

"Because I accidently ate a sandwich just now without realising that there's cheese in it. And you know how I'm allergic to cheese." As if on cue, Becky's stomach grumbled and she winced again. "I'm having this major stomach ache but I can't just go without doing the job I volunteered. You have to help me Ash! If Coach doesn't see a cheering bear during the game, I would be in so much trouble and the principal would not help me in my college applications!"

After a few seconds of persuasive argument, Ashlyn finally agreed. "You owe me big time Rebecca!" She said as Becky helped her zip up the costume.

"I promise I'll buy you lunch for the whole week!" Becky said and put the bear's headpiece on Ashlyn's head. "Remember to not reveal your identity because no one is suppose to know that you're not Eddie. Only the coach, the principal and a few of Eddie's friends know that I'm replacing him. So that means the rest of the school probably thinks you're Eddie right now."

Ashlyn almost gag when she inhaled inside of the costume. "This thing smells like rotten eggs! When was the last time they wash this thing?!"

Becky rolled her eyes. "You'll get used to it. Now go out there and cheer your butt off! I'll come get you when I'm done with my date with the toilet." She said and pushed Ashlyn out of the bathroom.