Chapter 42

The time on her cell phone showed 11.28p.m. Ashlyn had already put on her black jeans, a black turtle neck and the pair of boots she bought earlier that day. She pressed her ear on her bedroom door to make sure that there isn't any sound outside that tells her the grown-ups are still awake. After about a minute of hearing nothing, Ashlyn slowly opened her door and slipped out. She tiptoed her way and was halfway down the stairs when Jaime decided to intervene.

"You're really going to do it?" He asked, standing at the top of the staircase with only his pyjama trousers.

Ashlyn turned her body and placed her finger on her lips. "Quiet down! Our parents might hear us!" She hissed, climbing up back and pulling Jaime into her room.

"Don't do it, Ash!" Jaime started once Ashlyn closes her door. "What if you get in trouble?"

"And what if the principal finds the binder and Becky gets in trouble instead, huh?" Ashlyn's eyes focused on him. "I can't let that happen."

"Have you thought about the security cameras then?"

"They won't check the security footage unless something gets missing. I'll be extra careful not to leave anything behind that would let them know I was there. I'll just take the binder and get out. That's it. Simple as that."

"I'll come with you." Jaime took a step towards her. "I can help."

"No." She can't let any more people get involve in this. Ashlyn pushed Jaime backwards until he fell onto her bed. "If you want to help me then stay here. I might need you to make an excuse for me in case my mum wakes up and finds me missing."

"But...but—"

"Promise me that you'll stay in this room and not follow me."

"But—"

"Promise me." Ashlyn said sternly.

Jaime bit his lips, staring at the floor before finally nodding reluctantly. "Promise."

"Thanks Jaime." She squeezed his shoulder affectionately before finally leaving the house and into the cold night air.

She hailed a taxi at the nearest open street and in 15 minutes, she found herself in front of Empire High. Ashlyn ran to the entrance and opened the doors. She knew entering the school would be easy because the main entrance was rarely locked but getting into the principal's office is tough because there are security cameras and guards roaming around that area.

Ashlyn ran towards her destination and hid behind a row of lockers when she spotted a guard strolling in front with his back facing her. The guard was holding a flashlight as he patrolled the vicinity. Ashlyn took note how the guard had a sturdy and muscular body. He could easily be seven foot tall. Ashlyn wasn't sure she could outrun him if she unfortunately gets caught. There was absolutely no room for mistakes. She waited for the guard to leave the hallway before pulling up her turtleneck shirt all the way to her nose so that the security camera won't get a look at her face. She stealthily close the gap between the admission office and quietly opened the door. Once in, she approach the principal's room only to find the door was lock.

"No! Damn it!" She clenched her teeth. Ashlyn turned to Ms Clarise's desk at the side. The headmistress must have kept a spare key somewhere right? She searched through the desk drawers one by one, careful to put things back where it originally was or Ms Clarise would be suspicious the next morning to see her things have shifted. Ashlyn was beginning to lose hope when she searched the last drawer and found no key.

"Of course she has no key!" Ashlyn slapped her forehead. If she had the key to begin with, she would have already used it to open the door when she and Levi were in the principal's office the other day. Thinking about that accident suddenly made her remember a solution.