Chapter 46

"Come on, Ashlyn! We're gonna miss all the fun!"

"I'm coming! I'm coming!" Ashlyn grumbled as she went down the stairs where Becky was waiting for her. "Why are you in such a hurry anyway? The carnival will last till tomorrow morning."

"I know but it comes only once a year and I don't want to miss any second of it!" Her friend jumped excitedly.

"Where's Wilma and Freda?"

"They're meeting us there. Freda's mum will be sending them."

Jaime was lazily slouching on the sofa surfing the channels, only standing up when he saw Ashlyn. "Are we ready yet?" He huffed, looking at his phone watch. "It's an hour drive you know."

"Ready!" Becky chirped. "Thanks for giving me a ride, Jaime."

"No problem." He shrugged, walking towards the garage with Ashlyn and Becky following.

An hour later, Ashlyn could see streams of multi-coloured lights through her windshield. It looked even more beautiful against the night sky. The enormous Ferris wheel stood tall, spinning slowly, round and round. "So this is the famous carnival, huh?" She muttered, leaning forward from her seat.

"The one and only!" Becky said eagerly.

Judging by the amount of people present, Ashlyn guessed that the carnival must be a very big deal just like how her friends seemed to say.

"There doesn't seem to be any empty parking lots." Jaime frowned. "Why don't you girls go on first while I go find a space to park at the other side? I'll meet you guys inside."

"Cool!" Becky said, already opening the car door. Leaving Ashlyn with no choice but to get out as well. "Look at that!" Becky pointed at the Ferris wheel. "Wouldn't it be so romantic to ride on those with a boyfriend?" She sighed dreamily.

Ashlyn scrunched up her nose. "I don't think so. It's moving so slowly that it will probably be boring in there, with absolutely nowhere to go and nothing to do."

"I wouldn't say there's absolutely nothing to do in there." Becky wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.

Ashlyn jerked her head backward, looking appalled. "I really don't know you anymore."

Her friend laughed. "I'm joking! But seriously though, I bet the view would be awesome. Maybe you should take a ride with Max." She elbowed her.

"And spend ten awkward minutes in an enclosed space?" Ashlyn scrunched up her nose. "No thanks."

"You should really let yourself open up for Max more." Becky said. "Not every guy will break your heart. So have some fun!"

Have some fun? With Max? Will she really be able to let her guards down again? Well, Max won't probably cheat on her. Even his mother said that he didn't pay much attention to girls.

They paid for their tickets before walking to a nearby cotton candy stand and looked around, trying to find their friends among the sea of people.

Ashlyn stood on her toes and scanned her surroundings. "I don't see Wilma or Freda."

"Me neither." Becky took out her cell phone from her pocket. "Let me give them a call." She placed her phone by her ear. "Hello?" Becky said a few seconds later. "Where are you guys?" She paused as she listened to the other line. "Ashlyn and I are near a cotton candy stand." Pause. "What do you mean you can't go out! Just pushed the toilet door open!" Pause. "So what if Freda didn't wear a sweater today?" Pause. "Yeah, I'm wearing a sweater." Pause. "Okay, okay. Wait right there and I'll come get you." Becky sighed, putting her phone away.