Chapter 49

The Senior Prom was two days away and Ashlyn still hadn't gave an answer to Max yet. Ashlyn appreciated the fact that Max had not asked her for the answer since the carnival but she knew he was dying to know. Every single time they met, he seemed like he wanted to say something but changes his mind at the last second. She didn't want to keep him waiting but what can she do? She still thinks it's a bad idea for her to be at the senior's prom.

Ashlyn walked to the cafeteria when the lunch bell finally rang. Her three friends were not at their usual table yet. She bought a slice of pizza and an apple juice before taking a seat.

"Ashlyn!" Becky hugged her from behind, making her choked.

"Must you scream my name everytime you see me?" She coughed, taking a sip of her juice.

"Sorry." Becky giggled, taking a seat opposite of her. "I've got something to discuss with you."

"What?" She narrowed her eyes warily.

"Well..." Her friend began, excitement evident on her cheerful face. "The journalist team had given me my first official assignment!"

"So what is it?"

"They had assigned me to write a news letter about the Senior's prom this Friday night!"

"Becky, that's great and all but which part of this has anything to do with me?" Ashlyn scrunched her eyebrows.

"That's where you come in!" Becky scooted nearer to her. "I need you to be at the prom."

Ashlyn eyes widened. "Why do I—"

"Please!" Her friend gripped her arm pleadingly. "I don't want to be there alone! It'll be so awkward being the only Junior there!"

"Aren't you a social butterfly?" Ashlyn tried to pry Becky's finger off of her. "Go make friends there."

"But they're all Seniors! They can be pretty intimidating." She tightened her grip.

"Why not ask Wilma or Freda?"

"They're not allowed to be there. It's a Senior's prom remember!"

"But I'm a junior too!"

"But you're Max's date!"

Ashlyn scoffed. "How did you know Max asked me to prom?"

Becky rolled her eyes. "Come on Ashlyn, it was pretty obvious he was gonna ask you."

Ashlyn frowned. Was it obvious? "I'm not even sure if I'll go. Maybe I could get Max to take Wilma or Freda to the dance."

"Max wouldn't like that."

"Becky's right." Max suddenly took a seat next to her. "I guess you just have to go to the dance with me." He shrugged his broad shoulders, giving Ashlyn a smug look.

"How long have you been listening in on us?" Ashlyn placed her hands on hip.

"Long enough." Max replied. "So what do you say, Miller? Go to the dance with me?"

"Yes, she will!" Becky butted in.

"Becky!" Ashlyn hissed, turning to her friend.

"What?" She blinked her eyes innocently.

"Stop putting words in my mouth!"

"But I really want you to come!" Becky buried her face on Ashlyn's shoulder. "Please!"