Chapter 18

The bell rang, signalling that the second half was about start. The boys shuffled around to put away their towels.

Max came back with a grim face. "It's game time boys. Give it all you got, alright?"

"Yes captain!" The boys replied.

Ashlyn watched as the boys did their last minute stretches, praying that Becky would appear anytime now.

"We got a two point lead. I think we could take them!" Jack said, walking towards the pool while everyone nodded in agreement.

"Don't underestimate them, Jack." Levi said. He followed behind Jack but suddenly stopped and looked around. "Does anyone of you smell vanilla?"

Ashlyn stiffened and her heart almost stopped. Just when she thought that the rotten egg smell was strong enough to hide her.

"Must be someone from the crowd bringing in vanilla smoothie or something." Steven shrugged. "There's a smoothie stand by the side."

Levi shook his head. "No, no that's not it. It smells familiar. Like a perfume from..." He narrowed his eyes and sniffed his surroundings. When his eyes darted towards the mascot, Ashlyn held her breath. "You know what? Must be my imagination. I don't think Eddie would wear the same perfume as this particular someone that I know." Levi chuckled and jumped into the pool.

Ashlyn exhaled a huge sigh of relief. She then decided that it was her cue to leave. She couldn't take the risk anymore. She knew too much already. She ran as fast as the oversize costume would let her towards the girls' bathroom. She banged the door a couple of times before she heard Becky answering.

"I'm coming! I'm coming." Becky groaned. The minute she opened the door, Ashlyn stepped in and locked the door behind her.

"I can't do it anymore!" Ashlyn whined and took off the headpiece.

Becky rolled her eyes. "Fine. I'm feeling much better anyway." She took the costume from Ashlyn and put it on. "How do I look?"

"Like a bear." Ashlyn replied flatly.

Becky snorted. "You don't say."

********

The next hour or so, Ashlyn sat on the hood of Jamie's car in the school parking lot. She had ditched the game and decided that she needed some fresh air to clear her mind.

"Finally." Ashlyn muttered under her breath when students started strolling out of the school entrance to get home. She knew that the game had ended a few minutes ago and that Empire High had won because of the big goofy grin Jamie had on his face as he approached her.

"Guess who won!" Jamie jumped up and down like a little girl.

"Let me think." She tapped her chin with her finger as if deep in thought. "The Queen of England?"

"Ha-ha. Very funny." He rolled his eyes. "It's us! We won! Hell yes!" Jamie pumped his fist.

"Whatever. Just get in the car. I'm freezing in this cold wind." Ashlyn got off the hood and get to the passenger side. "Well, aren't you gonna unlock the door?" She asked when Jamie didn't move.

Jamie bit his lips. "I can't send you home today."

"Why the hell not?" She placed her hands on her hip. "I've waited for hours!"

"I know but there's a victory dinner going on downtown and I'm suppose to go there."

"You don't have to go! I'll cook for you a stupid dinner or something!" She kicked a tyre from Jamie's car.