Chapter 4

Ashlyn woke up from her sleep when her phone started beeping. She unplugged her phone from the charger that she took in Jaime's room when he was out yesterday. She had planned to put it back before he even realise it was missing. There wasn't an incoming call nor was it a message on her phone because she was obviously so popular. Note the sarcasm there. It was the alarm that she had set yesterday night. Ashlyn had begged her mum to allow her not to go to Empire High immediately but her mum refused saying that there is no point in staying home anyway and that she might as well start making new friends as soon as possible. So that's the reason why she is now in the shower at six in the morning instead of on her bed. Sigh.

After wrapping herself in a towel, brushed her teeth and combed her hair in the bathroom, she stepped into her room back. But something was oddly different. Her room wasn't as bright as she remembered. That was when she realised that her bedspread were no longer pink. It was black.

"Happy now?" Ashlyn mum asked as she stood in front of Ashlyn's door.

Ashlyn was startled at her mum's sudden appearance. "Mum! You scared me!" She rubbed her chest as if that would soothe the rapid beating of her heart. "Errmm...yeah. Did Alan do this while I was in the bathroom?"

"He sure did." Her mum nodded. "Alan is a nice guy, Ashlyn. So please give him a chance."

Ashlyn felt guilty for being rude to him yesterday. If a guy went through all that trouble for her then he probably deserves a chance. "I will okay." She motioned for her mum to leave. "Can you go now? I need to get ready for school."

"Sure. Breakfast is ready by the way. Come down when you're done." Laura informed her daughter before closing the door.

Ashlyn opened her luggage bag where all her clothes were still in. She didn't unpack yesterday because she had been busy exploring the house. And maybe because she was lazy too. She wore her red jeans and her favourite black blouse that had laces on it-hey, she may be tough but she still had a girly side to her. Next she put on her black ankle boots. Ashlyn wasn't a thick make-up kind of girl so she only applied lip gloss on her lips and some eyeliner. After she was satisfied with the way she looks, she grabbed her bag and went out of her room to head downstairs. Big mistake. Jaime went out of his room at that exact moment.

"Heysister." He said sarcastically.

"Don't call me that!" She bit back. "I am not your sister." Well, at least not yet she thought.

"But you are my sister. We're living under the same roof as we speak." Jaime smirked

Ashlyn wanted so much to punch his face but she wouldn't want to give him the satisfaction by reacting to his comments. It's obvious he was trying to make her angry on purpose. Then she remembered something and a huge grin appeared on her lips. "Since we're siblings, you don't mind me taking your charger last night right?" Jaime's smirk was replaced by a deep frown. "Nice Spiderman bed sheets by the way." Ashlyn laughed.

"How could you enter my room just li-" Jaime began to complain.

But Ashlyn was already halfway down the stairs ignoring him. "Sharing is caring..."She called out. "...brother!"

Ashlyn was greeted by a mouth watering smell once she was in the kitchen. She could tell that Alan was a terrific cook just by seeing him skilfully flip a pancake into the air and back onto the pan.