Chapter Part 45

After buying a muffin and a box of apple juice from the cafeteria, Ashlyn made her way to the courtyard where her friends had promised to meet during lunch period. She spotted the three girls seated on one of the wooden tables and immediately ambled towards them.

"Are you going to the carnival fair this weekend?" Wilma inquired the moment she took a seat.

"What carnival fair?" Ashlyn asked, taking a big bite out of her muffin.

"They have this annual carnival fair located a few minutes outside town. They have bumper cars, a Ferris wheel and tons of junk food. It's super cool. Kids from other towns come by too." Becky explained animatedly. "You coming?"

"I don't know." Ashlyn spoke after swallowing the last of her muffin and scrunching up the wrapper. "Carnivals aren't exactly my thing."

"I knew you would say that." Freda pouted. "Have you even been to one?"

"No."

"Then how would you know it's not your thing then?" Becky raised her eyebrows.

"I don't." Ashlyn admit agitatedly.

"So you'll try?" Wilma ask.

Ashlyn simply shrugged her shoulders and stood up to throw her rubbish into the trashcan nearby.

"Ashlyn! There you are!" Max jogged up to her, smiling.

Ashlyn threw the wrapper in her hands into the trashcan and gave him a questioning look. "You're looking for me?"

"Yeah." He grinned sheepishly. "You see, there's this carnival—"

"Oh God, not you too." Ashlyn sighed.

"What?"

Ashlyn jerked her thumb to where her friends were. "The girls already told me about the carnival fair and if you're thinking of asking me to go, it's—"

"A waste of time." Max finished off her sentence, giving her an amused look. "That's what you were gonna say right?"

"Well," Ashlyn nodded her head slowly, surprised that Max could read her so easily. "Yeah."

Max rubbed the back of his neck, disappointment etched on his chiselled face. "I kind of knew you would say that but I was still hoping you would go though."

"Oh don't worry Max. We'll make sure Ashlyn will be there." Freda shouted from the table.

Ashlyn whipped her head to the side, glaring at her friends. "Have you guys been eavesdropping again?"

"You guys aren't exactly far enough for us to not hear your conversation." Wilma shrugged innocently.

"Okay fine whatever." Ashlyn waved her hand dismissively. "And what makes you guys think you can force me to go?"

"We'll find our ways." Becky said matter-of-factly. "Either we have to drag you there or carry you. It doesn't matter as long as we bring you there."

"Carry me?" Ashlyn snorted. "You girls can't even do three push-ups."

"But I can." Max finally spoke up.

Ashlyn turned her head back to Max, who had been keeping himself entertained by watching their little banter. "Excuse me?" She cocked her left eyebrow.

"I would gladly carry you there for them." Max said, sending her friends a sideway glance.

"Thanks Max!" Becky hollered back.