Chapter 21

Ashlyn breath hitched. She was about to tell him that he was crazy considering the fact that he is just as infamous as Levi and that rumours would still be spreading about her even if she was to date him. To make matters worse, this time they might even accused her of cheating with Levi with his own bestfriend!

"Max, I don't-"

She was interrupted when Max suddenly burst out laughing. "I was kidding, Ash."

Relief washed over her entire body and she visibly relaxed. "For a while there I thought you were being serious." She punched his broad shoulder playfully. "Don't ever do that again or I'll punch you like how I did with Ben!"

Max lips turned into a sad smile but it disappeared just as quickly before he stood up and grinned widely this time. Ashlyn shook her head, thinking it was just her imagination.

"Class is starting soon so you better take a shower because you stink!" Max scrunched up his nose.

Ashlyn scoffed. Just when she thought that they could have an argument-free conversation. "Excuse me, Mr Johnson. The only thing that stinks here is your humour."

"Whatever you say." He said, walking backward towards the school building. "See you around..." He trailed off as a sly smirk formed on his face. "...Angel."

Ashlyn gasped, making Max laughed again before running away. He knew exactly how to piss her off, knowing very well that her first name annoys her as hell. Shaking her head, Ashlyn let a sigh escape her lips. "What an ass."

******

"Alright girls!" Coach Jenna Johnson blew her whistle, signalling the end of track training. "You are dismissed."

The girls cheered, dragging their aching feet towards the girls' locker room. Everyone went to their respective lockers to grab their towels. Ashlyn did the same when Mindy decided to get under her skin.

"Hey newbie." She sneered. "You're not looking so good just now. Your hurdles are getting sloppy."

Ashlyn clenched her fist. "What are you talking about? I didn't even trip over any of the hurdles!"

"Well, I-I still think your techniques are sloppy." She crossed her arms and held her nose high in the air. "I don't think you're good enough to represent the school."

"Back off Mindy! I'm the captain and only Coach Jenna and I can decide who represents the school." Fiona growled.

"Stay out of this, Fiona. It's between me and the newbie." She said, keeping her eyes trained on Ashlyn.

"If you don't watch your mouth then maybeyouwon't be representing the school!" Fiona threatened.

This made Mindy looked at her. "What? You can't be serious!" Disbelief crossed her face.

"I'm dead serious. Ashlyn had never bothered you so why bother her?" Fiona's arched a brow.

"Because I'm suppose to be the next capt-" Mindy huffed out annoyed. "Whatever." She muttered and stomped her way into one of the shower stalls.

"Well, that was weird." Yvonne broke the intense silence.

"Mindy's being a bitch all of a sudden." Tessa added.

"What the hell does she want from me?" Ashlyn rummaged through her locker and took out her spare clothes.

"She's just jealous." Fiona patted her back. "Everyone knows that Coach would probably choose you as captain once I graduate next year."