Chapter 36

The next day, Jaime was driving Ashlyn to school in silence. Only the voice of Bruno Mars from Jaime's radio accompanied them. She had texted Levi telling him that she had hitched a ride with Jaime instead. Ashlyn was grateful that Jaime had not questioned her about her sudden favour. She turned her head to look at her future step-brother. His eyes were on the road but she could see him glancing at her a couple of times from the corner of his eyes.

"Why do you keep looking at me?" She frowned. "Stop it."

"I wasn't looking at you. Can't you see I'm driving?" He replied, keeping his eyes on the road.

"You don't have to pretend. What are you thinking about?" She asked, shifting in her seat so that she could face him completely.

Jaime flinched after being caught looking at her. "Nothing." He said and offered her an innocent smile.

Lies, she thought but decided not to probe any further. "So...errmm...did you hear anything last night?" Ashlyn asked. She was sure that Jaime would have asked her why she decided to take a ride with him instead of Levi all of a sudden but the fact that he didn't, confirmed her suspicion that Jaime is fully aware of the situation.

Jaime cringed and looked between her and the road. "Do you really want to know?" Ashlyn nodded. "Well kind of." He admitted.

"Mum and Alan must have heard it too then!" She groaned, thinking how embarrassing it was to have them eavesdropping on her.

"I don't think so." Jaime shrugged. "You guys weren't exactly loud. I just happened to have my bedroom windows opened when you came home."

"So you were listening in on us?" She asked incredulously, punching his arm.

"Oww!" He hissed. "I didn't mean to but I had no choice. If I were to close my window, it would have made a sound and I didn't want to interrupt your conversation with Levi. It sounded so serious at that point of time."

"Whatever." Ashlyn crossed her arms. "Just admit that you're nosey."

"Yeah, okay fine. I was nosey." Jaime admitted shamelessly. When Ashlyn didn't respond, he continued. "So are you and Levi doing okay? Are you guys over or something?"

"Well, I—" She stopped when her phone beeped with an incoming text.

Meet me after school. I'll be by your locker.
I think I figured out what to do.
-Levi
8.02a.m

"No, I don't think we are over yet." She said to Jaime, still staring at her phone screen. "At least I hope so."

***********************

After school, just as he said he would, Levi was leaning against her locker. Ashlyn's stomach dropped looking at Levi's serious face. Oh God, he's gonna dump me. That's the easiest way out for us after all. I don't blame him one bit, she thought. Taking a deep breath in, she made her way to the guy that would probably hurt her in any moment now.

"Hi." She said. "What is it that you want to tell me?"

Levi looked up and immediately grabbed her hand. He started walking towards the school's exit, with her in tow. "Come on. We have to hurry."

"Wait, hold on!" She said, trying to pull her hand free but Levi had a firm grip on her. "Where are you taking me? We have practice later on!"

"And that is why we have to hurry." He responded, leading her to his car across the parking lot.

Once they reached his car, Levi opened the passenger door for her but Ashlyn shut it close. "I'm not getting in before you tell me what's going on!" She insisted, crossing her arms.