Chapter 9

The bell rang signalling the start of first lesson. The hallway was empty by the time she reached the school. Ashlyn rushed to her locker to get her books out while silently cursing Jaime for being the reason for her tardiness. She remembered the conversation they had in the morning.

"Jaime! Hurry up! We're going to be late." She ushered Jaime out of the house.

Jaime deliberately took small steps as he made his way to his car. "Your problem. Not mine."

Ashlyn did not see the logic in that statement. "You're a student too. Which means you're going to be late as well."

"Not today." He said smugly. "I have free period for my first lesson."

Ashlyn shook her head thinking of her unfortunate luck to be stuck with a stepbrother who's self-absorbed, selfish, egoistic -

"Aren't you supposed to be in class, young lady?" The headmistress voice broke her train of thoughts.

"I'm sorry, Ms Clarise. But my brother woke up late and-"

Ms Clarise held up her hand, cutting Ashlyn off. "Don't put the blame on someone else. This is entirely your responsibility." She wagged her finger in front of Ashlyn's pissed off face. Talk about adding fuel to the fire. Ashlyn wanted so bad to bite off her finger.

It was only her second day of school and she was already on the headmistress bad side. Great, just great. Not. At this rate, she'll never get into a good college. Could her luck get any worser?

"As punishment, you'll have to attend detention for a week." The headmonster continued.

Ashlyn spoke too soon. Of course her luck can get worser! "One week? Isn't that unfair? It's my first time being late." Ashlyn protested.

The headmonster sighed. "Very well. You'll get one day of detention. Today. Directly after school. At the library. You'll be helping Mr Ernest rearrange the books. Got that?" She asked.

"Yes Ms Clarise." She said obediently.

She handed Ashlyn a pink slip. "Good. Now head to class right away." She sneered.

"Bitch." Ashlyn muttered once the headmonster was far enough.

*******

During lunch, Ashlyn sat with Becky and her friends. They were a friendly bunch but all they talked about was how excited they were about the upcoming spelling bee competition. Yes, that's right, spelling bee. Who knew it still existed in highschool right?

"Talking about after school activities, have you signed up for any teams yet Ashlyn?" A girl, who Becky introduced as Wilma, asked.

The group's attention diverted to her. "Ouh yes! I forgot to ask you yesterday! What are you interested in?" Becky chimed in.

"Well...I like running." Ashlyn shrugged.

"Then you're in luck! Empire High has a track and field team. They're not so good though." She scrunched up her nose. "They haven't won anything in thirty years!"

"Nope. They haven't won anything is forty years actually." A girl named Freda said.

"Anyway," Becky continued. "Want to go for try outs today? I can accompany you if you'd like."