Chapter 29

The rest of the day, Ashlyn was like a lifeless being. Her body was there in Empire High but her mind was anywhere else. She didn't heard a thing about what her teachers had said and had only stared into space with only the loud thunder sound coming from the pouring rain outside to snapped her out of her daze every once in a while .

Every time she crossed path with Levi in the hallway, she could see him opening his mouth to say something but Ashlyn would just blatantly ignore him or spat out the word 'space' to his face. Talking to him or seeing his miserable face would only make her feel worse. The sooner Levi dump her, the faster she could stop feeling guilty. And if making Levi feel like crap would make him dump her, so be it.

Ashlyn barely noticed that the final bell had rung until someone tapped her shoulder. She jolted from her seat and glanced up too see her teacher, Ms Darlene.

"Aren't you heading home, Ashlyn?" Ms Darlene peered at her from above her glasses.

Ashlyn looked around and noticed that all her classmates had left and that the two of them are what's left in her classroom. "Sorry. I'll leave now." She said, slightly embarrassed and gathering up her stuff.

Ms Darlene placed her hand on Ashlyn's shoulder. "Are you okay? You seem a bit preoccupied." She asked worriedly.

"Everything is fine." Ashlyn gave her teacher a tight smile and left the room.

Ashlyn walked towards her locker and deposited her books there before heading to the school's exit. She stopped at the door, frowning at the dark sky that was still raining down heavily. Suddenly her phone vibrated in her pocket.

Can't send u home today.
-Jaime
3.42pm

Ashlyn's eyes widened before furiously typing back to her future step brother.

U can't b serious!
It's freaking raining.
How am I suppose 2 get home, idiot!
-Ashlyn
3.44pm

Need 2 accompany coach to the sports
shop to get new equipments 4 my team.
Sorry. Get a ride from someone else.
-Jaime
3.47pm

Ashlyn scowled. How was she going home now? None of her friends own a car. Becky, Freda and Wilma take the school bus every morning. Glancing at her watch, Ashlyn's scowled deepened as she realised she had missed the last school bus. If it wasn't raining so heavily, Ashlyn would have walked home but looking at the stormy skies, she wouldn't want to risk getting strucked by lightning. Eventually, she decided to call her mum.

"Hello?" Laura's voice said through the phone.

"Hey mum, can you pick me up from school? I'm stuck here because of the stupid rain."

"Sorry honey. I'm in the middle of a dress fitting session right now with Alan. They're going to take my measurements for my wedding gown." Her mum sounded apologetic.

"How long would that take?" Ashlyn bit her lips.

"I just reached here so it would take another hour or so."

"I can't wait that long!" Ashlyn whined.

"I'm so sorry sweetie. Why don't you call Levi and ask him to send you home?" Laura suggested.

"Can't you pick me up first and then continue with your wedding dress?" She pleaded.

"Don't be silly, Ashlyn. Go and call Levi now. This would teach you a lesson to bring an umbrella everywhere you go. See you at home. Love you! Ta-ta!" Her mum chirped.

"But mum! I don't want to ask Levi to send me home!" She groaned but her mum had hung up on her.

"Why not?" A voice interrupted her breakdown.