Chapter 54

‘This is so weird’ I said, amazed by basically everything I saw around me.

We were at a museum, walking around and looking at everything there was to see. It was a museum about the history of this town.

Apparently it didn’t get its name for nothing.

Hawera meant “The burnt place”, it got this name because of all the massive fires there had been here in the past.

Because of all these fires, they decided to make a water tower so that they always had enough water to stop the fires from spreading so much.

‘How do they even know all of this stuff?’ I asked.

‘Well, just by keeping the stories alive I guess’ Luke answered.

We continued walking until we reached the end, where there was a little café.

Luke walked right through it into another hallway where I could see little sort of “trains”.

You could sit down in it and as soon as one of the co-workers clicked on a button, it would start moving and it would disappear.

‘What's this?’ I asked, feeling kind of stupid over the fact that I was a little scared.

‘It’s an attraction, just trust me nothing is going to happen.’ Luke said.

I nodded and followed him as he stepped inside the “train”.

‘We’ll just get to see what happened in this town all those years ago’

I nodded and sat down beside him.

I desperately wanted to take his hand. Just to feel some kind of comfort, but he was holding his own hands, clasping them together as we waited for all the other people to get in and start moving.

The ride we made was incredible, showing us what happened  probably 1000 years ago if not longer.

There were wax figures, showing the crowd things like piracy, abductions and massacres.

I’ll admit the wax figures were a little creepy, but it was amazing how you could show so much of the past with so little space and time and words.

For a while I forgot about the fact that Luke was acting strange and enthusiastically started talking to him about everything I saw.

Luke didn’t answer to most of the things I said, but I just told myself it was because he was also trying to take everything in.

Only he was doing it in a completely different way.

Once the ride was over and we had seen everything, we sat down in the café and drank something.

The silence that kept showing up between us became more awkward with the minute and I felt terrible because of it.

‘Luke?’ I said, focussing on my cup of tea in front of me.

‘Yeah?’ he looked at me shortly and focused on his drink as well.

‘Is everything okay?’ I asked.

‘Of course, why wouldn’t it be?’ he said.

‘I don’t know, you’re just…acting weird’

‘I’m not acting weird’

‘Yes you are, you’ve been quiet all day yesterday and today too.’

Luke shrugged and took a sip of his coke.

‘Sorry’ he said. ‘I wasn’t doing it on purpose’

I smiled at him carefully and nodded.

I wasn’t really sure what I had to say to that.

He knew he was acting differently and I knew he knew because he couldn’t look at me when he was talking.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about Luke, it’s that he always looks at you when he’s telling you the truth.

I sighed, taking my cup of tea in my hands and taking a sip.

‘I never knew museums could be fun like that’ I said, trying to start another conversation.

Luke smiled a small smile, still looking at his glass.

‘What you see in the movies is never how it is in real life’

‘I know that, but in the movies I’ve watched there’s usually no museums. I just had this thing in my head that made me believe museums are not really all that interesting but they actually are’ 

----

A/N: 

I promise this won't go on so long...just hold on (: