Chapter 58

‘Are we really doing this?’ I asked, looking at the high building in front of us.

Luke nodded, looking up as well.

‘Imagine the view we have from there’ he said.

I looked at him and smiled, he had been begging me to go up the water tower for the last 20 minutes.

I said yes, only I was regretting that now that I had seen how high it actually was.

Luke looked at me, his smile fading a little as he squinted his eyes against the sun.

He gave me his sunglasses a few hours ago when we were sitting in a café and I couldn’t look at him because of the sun.

‘We don’t have to if you really don’t want to though.’ he said.

I shook my head ‘You’ve basically been begging me to go up there for the last 20 minutes. We’ll go up’ I said.

Luke nodded excitedly and bought the tickets.

We walked up to the water tower and I swallowed as we were standing in front of it.

It was higher than I thought it would be.

Luke took my hand and pulled me up the stairs.

‘We might have to take a break when we’re half way up’ I said, trying to distract myself.

‘I don’t think I can handle 215 steps all at once’

Luke laughed ‘I’m sure it’s not as bad as it sounds’

We walked up the stairs in silence, except for my breathing that you could probably hear on the other side of the country.

‘Are we almost there?’ I asked, feeling like a little kid in the back of the car, asking its parents how long before they arrive to their destination.

Luke smiled and stopped walking. ‘Do I need to carry you?’ he asked.

I nodded as a joke, but Luke walked back to me and lifted me over his shoulder before I could protest.

‘Luke, I was joking’  I laughed, gripping a handful of his shirt as if that was going to keep me from falling.

'I can walk you weirdo’ I said, trying to wiggle out of his arms while he continued walking up the stairs.

‘But I like this so much better, I have a really nice view now if I look to my left’

It took me a second to realize what he was talking about, but when I did I laughed and shook my head.

‘Don’t look at my ass,’ I said, feeling my cheeks starting to burn.

Luke grinned and mumbled a very subtle: ‘Too late’ before he put me back on the ground.

He looked at my bright red face and his grin only grew wider.

‘I hate you’ I mumbled as he pulled me in a hug and laughed.

‘No you don’t’

I smiled and let go of him, looking at where we were.

As I expected, we were all the way up.

‘Come on’ Luke said as he let his arms fall of my waist and took my hand.

I looked at the little “Balcony” we were standing on and shook my head.

‘I’m fine right here’ I mumbled. 

Luke turned around and shook his head.

‘You don’t have to be scared, nothing’s going to happen’ he said, trying to pull me closer.

I shook my head and stayed where I was, I could see we had a beautiful view from here, I didn’t need to get closer to the edge. ‘Okay, can you at least come stand here so I can hug you?’ Luke asked innocently.

I furrowed my eyebrows but nodded anyway and walked up to him.

He wrapped his arms around my waist and swayed us back and forth.

‘Don’t’ I said, as Luke slowly started walking closer to the edge.

‘Come on, you’re not actually scared of heights V, we sat on the edge of that hill the other day. That’s way more dangerous than this is’ Luke said as he turned us around so that my back was now facing the view.

‘But this is so much higher’ I mumbled.

‘But it’s also so much safer’ Luke mumbled, pressing a kiss against my hair.

He stopped walking and he put his hands on my waist, making me pull away from him a little to look at his face.

‘Turn around,’ he said, softly pushing me around.

‘I’m not going to let go, I promise. Just make sure you don’t look down’

I turned around and gripped the railing to keep myself from falling.

Luke’s arms snaked around my waist again and he rested his chin on my shoulder, pressing a kiss against my cheek. The view we had was incredible.

It was different from what we’d seen so far.

Usually we see dozens of trees and mountains.

This time we could see the city, the people walking around.

I could see 2 women on the corner of a street talking to each other and laughing when one of them made a joke. There was a blind man walking past them and on the other side of the street there was a couple walking into an ice cream shop.

We could see the buildings that were somehow very colourful, with a green or red roof and perfect white walls.

It was incredible, I could stand there the whole day and be entertained with everything I saw. 

---

A/N:

I'm not really sure what to think of this chapter but I don't have time to write a better one so we all have to just live with it :)