Chapter 20

As if Rowan being put under the imperius curse was the last bad thing to happen in January. According to Badeea and Penny, more students were being trapped in portraits and Scabbers had gone missing AGAIN, so after Care of Magical Creatures, Dani went up to the corridor of the first vault, where she last found Scabbers. But when she pushed the wooden door open, she was in for a shock.

A fat man whom Dani didn't recognize was pacing in the corridor, whistling and talking to himself. "The portkey-the portrait-it's with Peeves..." he sang.

He spun around, but Dani already had her hand on her wand. "DEPULSO!"

The fat man stumbled out of the way. "Not today, young lady! OBLIVIATE!"

In a flash, Dani was back at the door. Yes, we know, she never left, but nor did she have any memory of the fat man. And there it was-Scabbers, squeaking and running towards her.

"Miss Jackson!"

Rakepick walked up the steps towards Dani as she scooped Scabbers up. "Ah, I see you've found Percival Weasley's rat-pesky thing keeps running off, we'll need a cat to keep him in order soon. I saw most of that. Do you remember anything?"

"Uh... What do you mean?"

"Anything weird or out of place in your mind? Anything you think happened recently, but you don't exactly remember?"

"Hm..." Dani closed her eyes, focused and remembered something: a voice that was foreign to her, but one that WE know as the voice of the fat man-namely, Peter Pettigrew, if you haven't figured. "A voice that I don't know. Two words: 'portrait' and 'Peeves'."

"You got it, Miss Jackson. Tell William Weasley and Miss Snyde to meet me in the DADA classroom tomorrow after class. We've officially located the vault portrait."