Chapter 1

TRIGGER WARNING: THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS MILD VIOLENCE.
"Two new members within the first two days of school. Man, our recruitment is..." whistled Bill.

"For babies," Merula finished. "I sure hope you're aware that the new recruits in question are in their first and second years."

"Well, the head girl was telling me on the train to stop hanging out with you guys just because you're fifth-years-but like THAT'S gonna stop me from cursebreaking."

"When I met up with the Weasley brothers at lunch, Percy was talking about how he was 'future prefect, head boy and minister of magic'," Dani told Merula. "Plus, Penny's little sister Beatrice made me this fluffy little toy puffskein. It's in my dorm if you want to see it."

"That's a baby's toy, you know?" snapped Merula.

"Of course I do," Dani said smartly. "It's just an 11-year-old's way of showing that she idolizes me."

"Anyway," Bill changed the subject, "how was everyone's first day?"

"Eh, OK," sighed Dani.

"Same," Merula followed suit.

"Actually, I have something to tell you," said Dani, remembering last year's end-of-the-year feast. "I told Rowan that I was worried about Rakepick getting killed in the next vault because of You-Know-Who's DADA curse. And guess what she said in DADA today? 'Curses are made to be broken.'"

"Ambitious," commented Bill.

The students arrived at the training grounds, where Rakepick had summoned them. It was a clear evening in early September with an occasional breeze.

"Good, you're here," said Rakepick. "Now, I've been watching the squad over the past year, and the three of you have performed the best in our sessions, as well as on the field. Therefore, even though Miss Jackson was the clear ringleader all along... I'd like to officially make you all co-captains of the vault squad."

Dani looked at the other two, and decided to hold her tongue. Yes, she loved being in charge, but Rakepick was right. Bill was older than any of them, would be doing his NEWTs at the end of the year, AND had been part of Alex's squad. As for Merula, she'd clearly improved a lot in the past couple of years, and though they weren't exactly friends, Dani had to agree with Rakepick that Merula would make a great co-captain.

"You can decline the offer now, if you want."

Bill, Dani and Merula looked at each other, then back at Rakepick. "We're all doing it," reported Bill.

"Then it's settled," said Rakepick. "I'll let you guys break the news yourselves, and we'll be having our first session of the year soon."
************************************
"I'm glad you could talk to me, Dani," said Ben. They were in the courtyard the night after. "Look... I want to apologize. For attacking you last year."

"Ben, no, I'M sorry for getting mad at you. I think... You were mind-controlled by R. Remember the imperius curse?"

"Wait... So you're saying R MADE me attack you? But that's horri-"

"Did someone say my name?"

Ben and Dani turned around.

They were back.

R, in their usual red cloak.

"PETRIFICUS TOTALUS!"

Ben was hit by the body-bind curse. Dani pulled out her wand.

"DEPULSO!"

"PROTEGO! PETRIFICUS TOTALUS!"

Dani was also hit by the spell.

"I have a message for you, Miss Jackson... Before this year ends, one of your friends will die."