Chapter 18

Well, well, well... GuEsS wHo'S bAcK

"I am?!"

"I suppose you may have already had a taste of your abilities."

"Like..." Dani remembered a few moments where she knew what her friends were thinking without them telling her. (see Year 4, Unleash Your Patronus Part 3, and Year 5, Christmas at Hogwarts Part 4-I changed some stuff if you aren't aware) "I can sometimes gut feel what others are thinking."

"That's normal for a legilimens," scowled Snape. "Now, I'll show you what you're capable of doing..." He pulled out his wand and pointed it at Dani. "LEGILIMENS! Ah, interesting... You and your brother were as much troublemakers as children as you still are, aren't you?"

Dani was surprised-she HAD been thinking about some of the pranks she and Alex pulled on their parents.

"Here's how you do it, Miss Jackson..."
************************************
"That's the life of being raised by death eaters."

"Can't really imagine that," said Dani. She was at the Three Broomsticks with Barnaby, relaxing and unwinding after another long week, especially since Snape told her to practise her legilimency on others. She'd learned EXACTLY how Filch felt about her and the vault squad (pesky troublemakers-just as she'd completely expected), why Pitts joined the Hogwarts kitchens (crappy masters, apparently) and some things about Barnaby's childhood.

"I saw that," said Madam Rosemerta as she put the students' cups of butterbeer on the old wooden table. "I remember Alex would use his legilimency on me if he was feeling particularly paranoid that day. Need another person to practise on?"

"Sure," said Dani, pulling out her new wand. She cast the spell, closed her eyes for a few moments, then opened them. "So you used to let Alex stay here, when he was on the run?"

"I did. I guess that's another thing you know about your brother now. If you'll excuse me, I have other customers to serve."

As Rosemerta went towards the next table, Barnaby took a sip of his butterbeer, then said, "I'd advise you to use this on Rakepick in DADA."

"I was planning to, but the next lesson's on Monday. Should I be scared after... You know..." She fidgeted with her new stick.

"Probably not. How else can you even get her to spill?"
************************************
"Bold," Rakepick grinned after DADA. "Sure, no problem, try me."

"LEGILIMENS!"

Dani closed her eyes and focused, bit saw nothing. Nothing but clouds of white mist.

"It's called occlumency, Miss Jackson," Rakepick lectured once Dani gave up. "It means that I can block out legilimens from getting into my head." She playfully clocked herself a couple of times on the temples and said, "You'll get plenty of chances to use your newfound capabilities later. Legilimency can open doors for you, you know."