Chapter 29

Before we begin, I would like to apologize to TiffanyBond0 for, um, not taking her vote. I wasn't sure what everyone else wanted, I didn't know if this would be the time I did something right for once. (Although knowing myself, I probably didn't.) For another thing, I know I haven't talked about her in a bit, but I really feel like it'd be meaningful to have Penny in on the vault, especially after what happened to Beatrice.
Anyway, back with OUR 'golden trio' (actually, spoiler alert, the lineup will change pretty soon)...
"Ben. Change my mind."

Bill and Merula didn't say a word. They were discussing the two other people to bring after the session. Dani had already told them about Ben's new desire to be braver, and besides, he'd been to every vault other than the last.

"No? Ben it is. So who else?"

"Charlie. Change my mind," said Bill as they walked up the grand staircase.

'Bill's right,' Merula thought as they walked upstairs. 'Charlie's good with dragons.'

She realized as she reached the landing that she was alone all of a sudden. Bill was a couple steps below her, staring at Dani, who was looking up at the painting Beatrice Haywood was trapped in.

"I don't come up here a ton, but it seems every time I do, Beatrice looks more..." Merula noticed it: Beatrice was now sitting slumped, unlike at the beginning of the year, when she'd be hammering on the frames, looking very frantic and scared.

Dani sighed. "I mean, I know OWLs are coming up, but I barely see her other than Herbology nowadays. I think it may mean something to her if we get her involved on this. I mean, it's not like she'll blow herself up or something, even though I don't see a need for potions, at least not right now."

Bill stood there for a few more moments in mixed feelings, then said, "You have me convinced, Dani. Merula? Is that good with you?"