Chapter 13

"Well, after all, this was where Merula and I last found Scabbers," Dani clambered out of the red cap's hole, which was blissfully deserted this time around.

"I think we should get going," said Jae. "Speaking of which, Torvus, did you get it?"

"Sure did." Torvus pulled out something from his quiver, Jae from his bag, and they swapped.

"What is it?" Dani peered curiously as the students left the forest with Fang.

"Torvus gave me a mountain troll's vest and I got him some herbs from the school greenhouses."

"So you have an ulterior motive for being here."

"You make me sound like I'm R."

Sensing that he wasn't joking, Dani quickly said, "I'm just saying."
************************************
"What's a dog doing in here?"

McGonagall caught Charlie and Dani in the prefect's bathroom with Fang. "You do realize that you're prefects, don't you?"

"Yes, and we're..."

Dani stepped in to help her partner. "A second-year lost his pet rat, and we got some help from Hagrid's dog to find it. We've heard that animals often get lost in here, so we decided to have a look."

McGonagall thought for a moment, then said. "Very well. I'll discuss the matter with the head boy and girl to address the problem. In the meantime, you each get 5 points for Gryffindor."
************************************
Dani and Jae rushed to the Care of Magical Creatures grove with Fang after detention, where Charlie was already waiting. "So how did the house-elves like having a dog in the kitchens?"

"Pitts was PISSED," laughed Jae. "Anyway, shall we-"

"ARF ARF ARF!"

Fang had ran over to a stack of crates and was wagging his tail.

"What, did you find Scabbers?" Charlie asked in awe and confusion as he and his classmates went towards the crates.

After giving the happy dog a pat on the back, Dani ducked down to look at a small gap between crates. She frowned, and moved a couple of crates apart. "Look. Cursed ice."

And cursed ice it was. A few oddly shaped shards of ice. Just there. Winter was fast approaching, yet they didn't show a sign of melting, which seemed odd enough in itself to Dani.

"If my memory serves me, neither of you have been to the first vault?"
************************************
"REVELIO!"

Dani walked back up the stairs, and towards the icy interior of the first vault she'd found. This time, Charlie and Jae were with her.

Charlie jogged closer, and saw it. It was tiny and moving, but it was definitely there. "SCABBERS!"

Being careful not to slip on the ice, Charlie scooped Scabbers up. "How did you get here?! Percy was worried sick!"

"Beats me," said Dani, picking up a folded piece of parchment that was underneath Scabbers. It looked at least a decade old, maybe two, yet something told Dani that it held more secrets than its appearance let on.