Christmas at Hogwarts Part 3

"Hey, what are you up to?"

Dani sat down next to Merula, on the ledge of the frozen courtyard fountain. She figured that she'd probably need to get to know her co-leader better before getting her the perfect gift.

There was an awkward silence, then Merula said, "Remember last year, when you asked me about my patronus memory?"

"Yeah, kind of."

"You're right, it IS about snow. It doesn't snow a ton where I live, and every Christmas-well, before she went to Azkaban and I started here-my mum would do this with me." She took her wand out, waved it, and snowflakes shot out of her wand, mixing with the natural Scottish snowfall.

Dani nodded. "I see. Back in the day, my mum would pile gifts on my and Alex's beds on Christmas morning. We'd wake up under a pile of gifts. She still piled gifts on Alex's bed after he went missing."

Merula's lips curved into a small grin. "She's... Weird."
************************************
"What are we looking for, anyway?!" Merula yelled over the noise of a stack of boxes falling to the ground.

"Anything with a plug! Your dad's a muggle, right?" Bill shouted back.

"As completely expected," said Dani. "My dad collects those as well."

"You mean something like... This?" Tonks pulled out a battered toaster from the flurry of boxes.

"Yep," said Bill. "You can give that to Dad. He'd love it."