Chapter 15

Dani watched in awe as one of the people on the map, moving so quickly Dani couldn't make out their name, hit the DADA classroom, then Filch's office, then an 'unused study', the location of which Dani recognized as Alex's room-after all, Dani had been told that the marauders-the mapmakers-were at Hogwarts at the same time as Rakepick and Snape, so they obviously graduated before Alex, Duncan and Olivia started. "Who is that? Do they have anything to do with the vaults?"

Rakepick took a glance at the person, then pulled out her wand. "Mischief managed."

As the ink faded, Dani turned to Rakepick. "Why? What's with the person?"

"They'd kill you to protect their secret. But you're right, they ARE connected to the vaults."

"Are they-"

Before she could say 'R', Rakepick dismissed her. "We'll meet up when I have more info on the portrait."
************************************
"Why are we here again?" asked Barnaby. "I normally only come to this classroom for DADA, and I don't have it today."

"Neither do I," said Dani. "But I know that someone who's connected to the vaults was here last night. I think they were looking for so-I found it!"

Dani pulled a black quill out of obe of Rakepick's desk drawers. "REPARIFARGE!"

Nothing happened.
************************************
"Ooh, THIS is interesting..."

Dani coughed as Tonks shoved a dusty file in her face. "What?"

"Filch's files on Rakepick."

Dani took the file and squinted at Filch's messy handwriting. "Apparently, she was as mischievous as you are. Anyway, is that the best you can do?"

Tonks nodded, and Dani put her head in her hands.
************************************
"As mischievous as Tonks or KARASU, by the sound of things," Merula spat at the Ravenclaw as she pushed the drawing board back into place. "Anyway, we're now at our last-resort place. Let's keep our hopes down."

"By my count," Dani dropped (on purpose) another pile of papers on the desk which landed with a loud thump, "this is the room at school that fails us the least."

Tulip opened another drawer. "I found one!" She waved a black quill in the air, and Dani snatched it from her and put it on top of her pile.

"REPARIFARGE!"

The quill became a notebook, and it was open at a certain page.

Rakepick is the only reason I'm still alive, but I can't help feeling like she keeps me alive for her own reasons. I just wish I understood what those reasons are. I don't understand why we need a third person to break the curse on the buried vault. Especially him. I don't understand why the cabal is after me, and went after my little sister. She'll never know that Rakepick saved her too. I mostly don't understand why Rakepick is afraid of the cabal. If I didn't know better, I'd say she isn't afraid of anything. Everything would be simpler if she couldn't keep me from knowing exactly what's on her mind. It's the one thing she and Snape have in common.

"Alright, so we now know that the next vault is called the buried vault," Dani concluded.

"But who is the cabal?" Merula scratched her head.

Little did they know that the answer to the above question was as obvious as ever... Once they'd cleared out the cloud of misconception.