Chapter 5

"Penny!"

After her conversation with Snape, Dani rushed to the great hall to find Penny at the Hufflepuff table as usual. "Quick, what was in that potion Merula stole?"

"I-" Penny quickly broke off.

"I just want to make sure you aren't hurting yourself, Penny."

Penny sighed. "It's a draught of peace, and I've snuck into the forbidden forest, smuggled stuff from Herbology, bought stuff from Jae AND sought out Sickleworth's help to get the ingredients. I didn't want Merula just stealing all of my hard work. Dani, I'm telling the truth. I don't WANT to hurt myself, but now..."

"Have you drank it yet?"

"I don't even know if I should."

"Then don't," advised Dani. "I could've numbed all of my feelings about Alex when I came to Hogwarts and just be a normal student instead of searching for the vaults-but I didn't. And my primary motivation to find the vaults is that Alex might be in there. Once we find the next vault, Penny, you'll have your sister back."

"But what if we-"

"We WILL find the vault, Penny. Mark my words."
************************************
"Dani, is it true that you..."

Jae broke off laughing as Dani continued to scrub a pot. "What?"

"You fancy Barnaby, don't you? He was your celestial ball date, and..."

Dani blushed. "Well, they told you..."

"Looks like you've got competition-in guess who!"

"Who?"

"Ismelda!"