Chapter 27

"So," Dani said, sipping her butterbeer, "what did you want to show me, Ben?"

"I want to show you... The new me!" Ben said enthusiastically. "I'm trying to become braver. Before you came, a seventh-year hit me with a chair and I didn't even flinch!"

"Good for you, Ben," replied Dani. "I knew there was a Gryffindor lion somewhere inside of you!"

"Anyway, now that the vault squad has wrangled the portrait from Peeves, when will Rakepick give you the next steps about the vault? I'd love to lend a hand, like I have before."

"We have our next meeting on Monday, after class. I can't wait to learn more about what we're about to face. Rakepick seems to know a lot."

"It pays to be prepared, because it seems this vault would be harder than the others."

"Agreed," said Dani.

"So can I come along?" Ben asked eagerly.

"I'll see what Rakepick thinks, then I'll give you an answer."
************************************
After History of Magic, Dani sprinted up the east tower staircase, down the hallway, then up another flight of stairs. Binns had overrun his class AGAIN, and Dani most certainly did NOT want miss a word Rakepick uttered, especially given how dangerous their next mission would probably be.

"We were about to begin without you," said Rakepick as Dani pushed the door open. "Anyway, I've been doing some research lately. The portrait you got from Peeves is a portkey to the vault, exactly as I thought. The date is set for not long after your exams, so you have some time to prepare."

"We're cutting it closer than we normally do, though," said Bill. "We only have little over a month to prepare, and we have OWLs and NEWTs on top of that."

"Oh, and I nearly forgot to tell you guys," Rakepick added. "I'll be teaching you the conjunctivitis curse, which I think will come in handy for the vault."

After an hour or so of practice, the co-leaders of the vault squad went downstairs to dinner. "The conjunctivitis curse?" Bill told the others as they walked along the noisy corridor. "Charlie told me about it. They use it a lot on dragons. And remember the sweater from the last vault?"

"Are you implying that..."