Chapter 53: The Initiate

Joining the Children of the Watch was not what Daedalus had expected.
It had been a week since they had been initiated, and had yet to go on a mission. Din had regrouped with some of his old Tribe members, including Daedalus's long-lost uncle, Paz Vizsla. It was an interesting development, as Daedalus hadn't met anyone from his mother's side of the family before then. Paz had almost taken to him like a father, and frequently took him hunting for the group's dinner.
Ki'na also took it upon herself to train Daedalus intensely. He wasn't positive, but he almost noticed some tension between Paz and Ki'na. However, the female Mandalorian woke the Phoenix early each morning to train with him in the jungles of Ithor.
It was a beautiful yet hostile place. Many of the animals of the forest were carnivorous, but the plants of the jungle almost posed a larger threat. The vines of the Hangman's tree would strangle anything walking below its branches, and the infamous bafforr tree, which possessed telepathic abilities.
Ki'na was well versed in the way of the 'Mother Jungle', as the Ithorians called it.
The Children of the Watch were much more high-tech compared to Din and Daedalus's armory. The Phoenix had his armor professionally repainted, while the Mandalorian left his plain. Daedalus had also can to terms with wearing a cape, and donned a blood red one. With the repainted armor and Darksaber, he felt as though he were a true Mandalorian.
Up until this point, the Phoenix thoroughly enjoyed residing with the other Mandalorians. That is, until he found out he had to hide his relationship with Din. The Mandalorian Creed the Children of the Watch followed declared that helmets could be removed in front of no one other than your spouse, so Din and Daedalus were trying their best to appear as crew mates when in public. They obviously removed their helmets in their private quarters, but otherwise, it was strictly professional.

———

Din woke in the morning to sunlight streaming in through the small window of their bedroom. Daedalus was still deep asleep, using the Mandalorian's arm as a pillow.
Outside, he heard a knocking on the boarding ramp, followed by inaudible yelling. Din quickly scrambled to get his armor on and poked his head out the door as Paz Vizsla made his way up the ramp.
"Morning Mando," he greeted. "Daedalus around?"
"Yeah, uhh, he's... sleeping still. I'll tell him you were looking for him when he—,"
"Din? What's going on?", Daedalus called from the bedroom.
Paz cocked his head. "Is he? Are you?"
"No, I mean—," the Mandalorian couldn't find the words. "See you around!", he stammered as he closed the door.
He turned to find Daedalus sitting up in bed with a confused look on his face. "What's going on?", he asked again.
"Your uncle just found out that we sleep together! He could tell Ki'na that we're breaking the Creed and we could be kicked out and—," Din hyperventilated.
Daedalus reached out and placed a hand on his boyfriend's arm. "Calm down, I can talk to him."
"Maybe we shouldn't live together," Din spat. He didn't want to live separately, but remaining part of the Children of the Watch was a necessity for the Mandalorian.
The Phoenix had a disgusted look on his face. "Do you really mean that?"
"I'm not sure..," was all he could muster.
Daedalus stood from the bed and slipped his armor on in silence. He was about to leave the room, but stopped in the doorway. "Let me know when you make up your mind," he sneered as he left the bedroom.
Din knew he had made a mistake. He couldn't make Daedalus live elsewhere, they were in love, and the only time they ever got together at this point was in the Razor Crest II.
There was just no way around it. By the Creed, the only people would could see you without your helmet was your spouse.
Unless...

———

Daedalus stormed from the ship. This was exactly why he didn't want to join the Children of the Watch. He needed his time with Din and he wasn't about to move out of their ship.
He needed something to clear his head, so he went to Ki'na's tent in the center of camp, where he found her speaking to Paz.
"Perfect, just who I was looking for," Ki'na chided.
Daedalus suddenly feared Paz had actually told her about him sleeping with Din. "What's up?", he asked innocently.
"We have a mission for you, do you think you're ready?", Paz questioned.
The fear turned to immediate pride. "Of course. What's the plan?"
Ki'na held out a holoprojector. It lit up and displayed an Imperial transport ship. "The Empire had reportedly left Mandalore, but yet every so often one of these transports leave the planet. We've received intel that one of these ships is departing later today, and we thought it would be a good beginner mission for you. Are you up for the task?", she asked.
"Would I be going in solo?", Daedalus wondered.
"Ki'na and I will be tagging along if that's okay," Paz informed.
"More than okay, I'm happy to hear that. When do we leave?", the Phoenix pried.
"As soon as you're ready," Ki'na stated.
The timing could not have worked out better. "I'm ready right now, let's go!", Daedalus cheered.
The three of them grabbed some extra gear and boarded a Mandalorian starship and headed to their homeworld.
Ki'na deemed herself pilot and prepared the ship for takeoff. Paz and Daedalus settled into the back of the ship, which had plenty of seating room. The Phoenix felt uncomfortable being alone with his uncle, as he had caught him sleeping with Din.
"First mission, how you feeling?", the heavy infantry questioned.
Daedalus nodded. "Pretty good, it came at the right time."
"Tell me about it," Paz sighed.
The Phoenix didn't know if he should bring up the incident from earlier or not, but he wasn't given a choice.
"Just entered hyperspace, we'll be there in an hour or so," Ki'na interjected. "You two ready to go?"
"Yeah," Daedalus admitted. "What's the plan exactly?"
"As the ship leaves the planet, we're going to lock onto it and board it," she informed. "Should be pretty easy."
The three of them settled in for the ride. Daedalus played on his holopad to pass the time, hoping to keep his mind off of Din. They had been through so much, and he wasn't about to give up living with him just because of some stupid creed. There had to be a way.

———

AHH I HOPE U ENJOYED THIS LITTLE MORSEL
NEXT CHAPTER IS BIG AHSJSJDJSHD