49.

August 8th, 2020

Ben

"How's my nephew?" Joel asks, sitting beside me in the locker room.

"He's good. Apparently he's giving Ally hell." I answer.

"That scares me now."

"Why?" I furrow my brows.

"I don't know how my kid is going to be."

I wave him off. "Everyone's experience with kids are different. You'll be lucky with whatever."

"You think so?" He asked.

"I know so." I nod.

He nods as well.

"Are they coming down to the Bubble in two weeks?" He asked.

"Yeah. They should be here on the 19th." I respond.

"Did you tell her about your plans to train in L.A. for the off-season?"

I shake my head. He glared at me and I exhaled. Joel's been a little protective of Ally since the incident. He presses me about telling her everything because he doesn't want me to hurt her again. No matter how many times I assure him I won't, he thinks otherwise.

"Do you want me to kick your ass now or later?" He asked.

"Never."

"Ben, you two have a child together. You can't just leave her out of these things." He said.

"I can bring her out to Cali with me. It's warm out there." I say.

"What if she doesn't wanna do that?" He exclaimed.

"I can't just leave her in Philly then. That would really not be fair." I frown.

"You should've thought about that before you made plans to go out to California." He shrugged.

Between him and Tobias, I don't know who's a pain in the ass more.

"I would advise you tell her, before shit hits the fan." He said.

"I don't think she'll react that bad."

He just stares at me and I roll my eyes.

Hopefully she'll understand where I'm coming from.

* * *

The buzzer sounds off, signaling the start of the game. I unzip my hoodie as I walk over to the bench. The opposing team gets announced first, before our starters are announced. Today we were playing against the Denver Nuggets.

We all walk onto the court, dapping up the five from the other team. Then I stand on my side of the court, stretching a little before the ball is jumped up.

Before I know it, we're underway. I toss the ball to Tobias and he's on his way down the court with it. I go to set up a screen so he can come around, then he bounce passes it to me on my way into the paint and I put it up for a layup.

We go back and forth like that for about five minutes, before the Nuggets call a timeout. We walk back over to the bench, sitting down for the next play.

As coach is explaining the play to us, my attention diverts elsewhere. It didn't take me long to notice Bane sitting up on the screen of virtual fans.

"She did not put the dog up on the screen." I chuckle.

"She sure did." Tobias replied, laughing.

"She's funny." I say, looking back at Coach.

He gives us the plays then sends us back onto the court. I look back at Bane one more time before grinning.

When halftime came around, we were sitting in the locker room going over the next few plays. We're currently leading, so there wasn't really an issue with anything.

All we wanna do is get the win.

* * *

After the game, I have one of the trainers take a picture of me with Bane. I was pointing up at him with a 'really?' face. On the way into the locker room, I send the picture to Ally with that exact message.

I then head to go take a shower because I needed it. We played a good game today, getting the win like we planned. I scored 27 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists. So it was pretty good on my end.

I sat down in my cubby with a towel around my waist, checking my messages and stuff. Ally had replied to my text with a laughing face. I text her back asking her why, and she just said he wanted to see me.

I change into my clothes; sweats and a shirt, before collecting my stuff and leaving the locker room. On the way back to the hotel, I FaceTime Ally. She answers after a few rings.

There's no way he said that.
I'm just relaying the message.

I roll my eyes as she giggles.

We all miss you here in Philly. So it was only fitting that he be court side at the game.
But I told you to get on the screen Ally. Not the dog.
I was in there before I gave him the seat.

I shake my head, face palming myself as she laughs.

What are you doing right now?
Feeding your son. We're on his third feed of the day. Then I'll be putting this little stinker down for a nap.
How many more feedings after that?
Two to three.

I nod, listening to Liam whimper. Ally looks down at him as he grips at her necklace with his name on it.

You guys played good today.
It was a close one.
A win is a win.

I shrug, watching her set her phone up. She was leaning against the couch with her legs up, cradling Liam. She left soft taps on his butt to calm him down.

He's been really fussy lately. I assume it's because he misses you.
I would assume he likes you more with how attached he is.
If you mean like as in likes to drive me crazy, then you would be right.

I laugh.

The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.
Then I hope our girl is just like you.
I do too.

She looks down at Liam, running her fingers through his hair. I watch her interact with Liam, pretty lucky that I didn't miss this.

You're a good mom Ally.
I try. It's not easy though.
Well you do a damn good job at it.

She smiles, thanking me. We continue talking as I make my way back to the hotel. Matisse poked his head into our conversation for a while, eventually taking my phone and running away with it.

"This is why I have three phones. So when shit like that happens, I have a back up." I exclaim.

"Then a back up to that back up." Tobias said.

"Exactly."

He shakes his head at me. I wait for Matisse to return with my phone. When he does, I grab him by the back of the neck and shake him up. He laughs as I do so.

"Ally! He's trying to kill me!" He gags.

Ben, leave him alone.

I push Matisse away from me, looking down at Ally on my phone.

He started it.
And I finished it.

Matisse sticks his tongue out at me and I flip him off.

He's so lucky we like him.
Please stop terrorizing him Ben.
Apparently he likes it because he continues to start.
Maybe he's just getting you guys back for messing with him.
It's called Rookie treatment.
It's called being assholes.
The good kind of assholes.
Whatever floats your boat.

Sometimes her kindness drives me nuts.

She's just a really good person.