38.

March 7th, 2020

Ally

I pull into the WinCo Foods parking lot, groaning at the amount of people here today. There's a lot. As I drove around the lot looking for a spot to park in, I watch people come walking out pushing carts loaded with groceries.

Damn, I wonder if they saved me anything.

I pull the Range into a spot that's about three cars from the entrance. I turn off the car and sigh. Opening the door, I carefully get out of the drivers seat. I make my way to the trunk, pulling out the stroller frame.

After closing the trunk, I walk back over to the drivers side. I unclip Liam's car seat and connect it to the stroller frame. I make sure he's tucked in and protected well before grabbing the baby bag and closing the back door. I place the baby bag onto the handle of the stroller, then open the drivers door to get my purse.

I lock the car then begin pushing the stroller to the entrance. As I'm doing so, I'm thinking of how hectic this is going to be. My first problem is trying to figure out how I'm going to get all that shit back to the car with no shopping cart. I wasn't planning on buying a bunch of shit, but since Ben insists we stay with him if quarantined, I'm going to need something to snack on on the drive there. That's a 35hr drive man. Yes, I looked it up before I went to bed last night.

"Alright Liam, lets do this." I exclaim.

We enter the supermarket and are met with near empty shelves. Everybody and they mama are in here.

"This is truly the end of the world." I mumble.

* * *

As soon as we got back home, I called Ben and told him I'd come. Only until the Quarantine was lifted. From his voice, I could tell he rolled his eyes at that response. But I'm being serious.

B: You're being serious?
A: Yes Ben.
B: Why won't you stay here?
A: I'm not ready to go through that amount of stress.
B: Who said it was going to be stressful?
A: Ben...we're not compatible in that way anymore. I hope you're not expecting me to fall into your arms like a lovesick monkey.
B: Pfft what? Of course not.
A: That alone is confirmation.
B: Don't do that.

I shrug.

A: Just until the Quarantine is over Benjamin.

I listen to him sigh in defeat over the phone.

B: Fine.
A: We can work something out then.
B: Such as?
A: You're just going to have to wait until I get there.
B: What if I don't wanna wait?
A: Then that's on you.

I listen to him groan over the phone, holding back a giggle at his frustration. His frustration makes me laugh.

A: You're one to be frustrated. You don't have to drive 35 hours.
B: I hope you're planning on making stops.
A: Stopping to tend to your son, yes.
B: I really wish I could put you guys on a plane.
A: You don't have a private plane you can rent? You're an NBA player for fuck sake.
B: As a matter of fact, I do. Let me call my buddy Matt and see what he can do. Ima call you back.
A: Okay.

I sigh in relief as the line goes dead. I think the last thing I want to do as a new mom is drive 35 hours across the goddamn country.

After breastfeeding Liam, I walked around the living room burping him. I listen to him coo as I pat his back. Once I hear the burp, I smile in satisfaction. I carry him around for a little bit more, before putting him down in his little bassinet swing by the couch.

When I finish buckling him in securely, I turn on the swing so it can rock him to sleep. I make my way into the kitchen to make myself something to eat; I'm literally starving.

While I ate my homemade Shrimp Alfredo, I read over the text message Ben had sent me. It was just him telling me that his friend Matt was going to get a plane for us and that it would be arranged to pick us up tomorrow.

When I asked him why it was coming to get us so soon, this dumbass replied that the sooner he has me in his arms, the better.

I'd outta slug him.

* * *

Nighttime finally came and I was more than excited to hit the sack. Like I mentioned before, sleep comes in small doses. I compromise when I can. So far I've been doing an alright job. I'm still tired as shit though.

Honestly, I can't wait to get to Philly. I'll leave Liam with Ben for a while and see if he can handle the pressure. Chances are he can't, but I'm willing to see just how hard he'll try. Hopefully Liam will keep him on his toes long enough to get him off my back. I just know he's going to do everything he can to butter me up. Trust me, he's been trying.

I walk into the bathroom and open the medicine cabinet. I pull out the ointment used for my stitches, then apply the right amount. It looks like it's making progress, but it still hurts. Just as I think about the pain, it hits me like a truck.

I close the ointment and put it back. I grab my ibuprofen pills and take one out. I put the pills in my mouth then turn on the faucet. Cupping my hands under the water, I sip the water from my hands to swallow the pills. I then sigh in relief and turn off the faucet.

After about a minute or two, I'm making my way to the bedroom. I make sure all the lights are turned off in the living space before heading to bed. I check on Liam again before pulling the sheets back and getting into the bed.

In no time, I was out.