Day 32

Luke -

"Can't we wait a little longer? I'm not ready to go just yet." I sigh sadly as I take Rylie's hand and squeeze it, hoping she'll give me something before I leave.

"Luke, we're going to be late as is. We need to go now, we're going to miss our flight if we don't get going." James sighs sadly, patting me on the back. I hesitate but nod before letting go of her hand to make sure she has everything in the backpack. 

"Okay, princess. I packed all of your things, except for your sock monkey because I know how much you hate not sleeping without him while I'm gone. I have Paper towns and the list in the front pocket, I left a bunch of messages on your phone so you can hear my voice while I'm gone and I promise to call every night. I love you, I'm so sorry." I begin to cry, not able to hold back the salty tears from coming down. I kiss her forehead, then her nose, each cheek and then her lips before kissing her knuckles as James rushes me to hurry with my goodbyes. I slowly get up and grab my bag, heading out the door with one last glance of Rylie lying in the bed. 

"So, did Beau tell you yet?" James asks after we enter the elevator. I look up from him and shake my head, confused. 

"Saorise is going to come on tour with us." My eyes widen as the words leave his lips and by the look on his face, he regrets telling me. "They had a huge discussion about it and he talked her into coming with us, but she didn't want to leave Rylie entirely. So, almost every other weekend, the two of you are going to fly out and visit her for a weekend or two days before coming back on the tour." Still unable to speak, I shake my head. "Luke, you can't expect Saorise to be by your girlfriends side the entire time we're gone. Besides, I'm sure the hospital is going to contact her immediate family to tell them about the move. Then her family can go and visit her without being scared that you're going to show up again." James goes on again, I nod. 

Rylie - 

They are all gone, all of my friends left and I'm finally by myself for the next six months. I've been sitting, staring out of the hospital window for the past six hours because I have nothing to do around here. This tour is going to be the death of me, I can't read, sleep or eat so I have nothing besides watching stupid shows on the TV whenever it's on. 

I know Luke said he'd visit every other week with Saorise, but flying is expensive. He'd be more likely to show up once or twice a month, we'd have a better chance at Skyping then him flying from wherever he is in the world to San Francisco. I just hope that I'm not entirely alone while I'm there, I want my family to come see me. I haven't seen them in weeks, but I'm sure they've already lost hope in me like the rest of them. 

I count the cars in the parking lot, 152. I count the cars leaving the hospital, 62. I counted the tiles on the ceiling, 88. I counted people entering the hospital, 237. Leaving the hospital, 128. 

I have never been this bored in my entire life. I could go for a cup of tea and the book in my backpack, or at least someone to talk to, well listen to. I let out a deep breath as I sit down in a chair next to myself and watch reruns of Boy Meets World and Reba on ABC family. How am I supposed to last nearly six to seven months of this? What am I supposed to do when the nurses come into talk to me or check up on me and shut off the television? How am I supposed to turn it back on? 

As if exactly on cue, one of the nurses comes in with her clipboard and a little present in her hand. "Hello Rylie, where's your boyfriend? It's so weird not seeing him in here with you, he's like a loyal puppy." She giggles before writing a few things down as she checks all the tubes and monitors. "I brought you a present from the entire staff, it's like a going away present I guess. Do you want me to open it or shall you wait to open it once you awaken from your slumber?" She teases, which causes me to laugh. "Alright, if you want me to open it, use your right hand to squeeze my hand. If you want to open it yourself, squeeze my hand with your left hand." She says, placing both of her hands in mine and waiting. 

I take a deep breath and reach over to my right hand, setting it on top of hers and mine. She smiles as she feels my hand squeeze hers, before writing something down and then taking the box. Slowly and carefully, she unwraps it and pulls out a stuffed elephant and then a small ring with an princess tiara sign. 

"Because we've all heard him call you his princess."