Day 69

Saorise -

"You look like complete shit, Rylie. I didn't even recognize you when I first came in." I admit to my best friend. It was true, life and time had just eaten away the happy girl. What was left of her wasn't so hot, she looked raw and venerable. Her hair had lost nearly all of it's color, her tan had faded away and she was thinning. Her cheekbones were sharp and her freckles were hardly even visable. She looked scary thin and fake, I didn't like it one bit.

As for Daniel's brother Shawn, he didn't look so great either. He was more of a greenish/unhealthy color than anything else but he wasn't in as bad of shape as Rylie. You could definitely tell that he hadn't been here as long as Rylie, but I couldn't decide who was the lucky one in this situation. Daniel wasn't talking much, just looking at his brother with tears in his eyes. 

"Can they hear us?" He finally speaks towards me, I nod and stroke Rylie's hand. 

"Yes, but some people believe they don't. The nurses said that talking to them might help them wake up sooner, it reminds them of people they know." I reply, finally looking over at him. I notice how he's not touching his brother. "Touching them helps too, it makes them know you're there." I inform him, he nods and hesitates. 

"I'm scared, what if he doesn't remember me?" He runs a hand through his hair, I turn around completely and look up at him. 

"Then make him remember you, talk to him about your parents and your family. Tell him memories so when he does wake up, he's not waking up completely confused on what's going on." I say, he takes a deep breath and takes his brother's hand before beginning to talk to him about things. 

Shawn -

"I don't know if you even remember me, but I'm your brother Daniel. I'm sorry I haven't visited you, no one even knew you were in an accident until a few days ago." 

"What a bunch of bullshit, how does no one know about a fucking car crash?" I cross my arms and glare at my older brother.

"Shawn, you should be happy he's even here. It could be worse, you could still be a John Doe and no one would've been able to find you. At least he's trying." Rylie tells me, placing a hand on my shoulder. I sigh but nod, knowing that she's right. At least he even came, unlike my parents.

"Do you remember anything about playing basketball? You were the captain of the basketball team back in high school and you got a scholarship into the best school in the country, you were supposed to go in the fall." He reminds me

"I hate listening to him talk." I tell Rylie

"Why?"

"Because he keeps saying were and did, he's using past tense. I'm still here, talk to me like I'm still alive and in the present. Like I'm supposed to go in the fall instead of I was supposed to go in the fall." I shake my head, she nods

"I understand, they do that all the time for me too." 

"He makes me feel like I'm not going to wake up, that I'm just going to be stuck here for the rest of my life." 

"Well, think about it. You might get treated with special treatment once you do wake up, like you get more things."

"I'm confused." I reply

"Think of it as like a coma perk, like a cancer perk but coma instead. You can get better chances of getting into colleges because they feel bad that you were in a coma." She explains, I laugh but shake my head.

"Perhaps I'll manage to tear up while telling someone my story, then I can get something for free." I tell her, she giggles and rolls her eyes. 

"Mom and dad haven't been able to visit, they're busy with fixing things with your girlfriend's parents. I know that none of this is your fault but all the parents are on edge. We're busy helping them set up the funeral for her, it would be ten times easier with you around because you knew her better than anyone." Daniel goes on

"What the hell." Rylie gasps

"What?" 

"Why the fuck would he just say they're planning the funeral? What if you didn't know that she was already dead?" 

"I don't understand." I furrow my brows. 

"He basically just told you that Natalie is dead, can you imagine how you would've reacted if you didn't know she was dead? I saw Luke do something I hated and I accidentally hurt myself so I got stuck with fluid in my lungs and they had to drain it out." 

"So, you're saying that I can hurt myself when I react to something I don't like?" I think about what she just said. 

She gives me a look but nods. 

"Yes." 

A/N: Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been on since like last month, I've been super busy writing other stories and working. I promise to write more because there will only be a few more chapters left before the ending. I love you!