Day 97

Saorise -

I decided to fly back out to keep Luke (and Rylie) some company. I know, I know, I just got back from visiting and now I'm going back again. It wasn't my idea, it was Beau's. He certainly didn't want me to leave again but since the other boys can't go with Luke, he thought I should be with him in case anything was to happen. I'm such a great friend, I know.

My flight left last night and I just got into San Francisco this morning. I'm staying at the hotel down a few streets from the hospital, I did not miss San Fran whatsoever. I honestly don't like California, even if I do live in it. There's so many other beautiful places that have forests and things other than filthy streets and ugly buildings.

As I continue to pack my things for the day, I send a quick text to my oh so loving boyfriend to tell him that I've arrived safely in the city. Afterwards, I head out and grab a latte from Starbucks before I'm on my way to the hospital. I'm surprising Luke, he doesn't know that I'm coming but I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing... Anyways! I sign in and put on one of the visitors passes before going into the ICU.

I always hated hospitals, they smell like death and cleaning products. Granted, both of those things do happen here on a daily basis but still. Hospitals suck, there's nothing fun about them unless they are a children's hospital because then the workers try to make it as fun and happy as possible. This hospital was not like the one's I've been to before. It seemed somewhat happy but sorrow still hung in the air like a haze.

Room 221, 222, 223, 224. My destination looked anything but cheery. From the looks of it, her room was bare and pure white. Unlike the other patients, she didn't have the luxury of her friends and family decorating her room so it felt more at home than before. I sigh and enter the room, gasping at the sight of my best friend. I feel the tears well up as Luke turns around to find me already crying.

This girl is not Rylie. She doesn't look anything like her. Her beautiful blonde hair was thin and dirty and lost all of it's power. Her cheekbones were sharp, her whole face looked like it had lost weight. She had beads of sweat forming on her forehead and rolling down past her cheeks. She looks ill, I mean she always has but now, it's even worse than the last time I saw her.

I don't say anything, but push past Luke and sit down in the open seat next to her. I take her hand and run her knuckles softly. She hasn't had any family visit her so naturally, we shouldn't even be in her but since the circumstances, they let Luke in because  he's all they've been contacting about her. They let me in because they believed that she seemed more improved than yesterday but from the looks of it, she looks ten times worse than the last time I saw her.

"I didn't know you were coming." Luke finally speaks, clearing his throat.
"Beau wanted me to come since they couldn't leave. I didn't call because I wasn't sure if you wanted me to come." I shrug it off, my eyes never leaving my best friend.
"Why wouldn't I want you to come?" He tilts his head in confusion, causing me to glance up at him.
"I don't know, I thought that because of how she was and how long you've been away from her, you wanted her to yourself." I reply
"I'm glad to have the company, talking to her is fine but I just want someone who can actually respond to me." He says with a light laugh, I crack a smile and nod.
"She doesn't even look like herself anymore. She was doing so well when I last saw her, how could so much change in such little time?" I frown
"Whatever happened to her must have been serious, even the doctors don't know what's going on with her." He sighs, running a hand through his curls.
"That's insane, how do they not know? They're doctors, they're supposed to know everything." Appalled by his answer.
"Not in this case, they think there's something going on with her brain. I know she had an MRI, but the doctors haven't shown me the results yet." He shrugs
"Well, they better hurry it up. I'm sick of just waiting and not knowing." I lean back in my chair, fiddling with the ring on my finger.
"How do you think I feel? I've been wanting to know did the past month, they haven't told me anything that I don't already know. It's so aggravating." He groans in frustration
"Has she done anything? You know, blinked or squeezed your hand?" I wonder but judging the way he looks at me, I have my answer. After that, I decide it would be best if I didn't say anything and apparently, he had the same idea.

We sat and watched Rylie in complete and utter silence.