𝑇𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦 𝐸𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡

" ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ sᴇᴠᴇɴ. "

Micah Williams
_________________
[ 𝑆𝑢𝑚𝑚𝑒𝑟 𝑜f 2019 ]

I walked into the locker room seeing familiar faces from last time I came to a practice with the Mamba's. Even though I'd yet to meet barely any of the girls besides a few.

To say I felt lost, is an understatement. I sorta stood to the side, with my duffle bag hanging off one shoulder and observing all the girls. They'd already changed into the practice uniforms but, LA traffic made my Aunt run behind with getting me here today. So I don't even know if I have a practice uniform to wear today. Being late on the first day isn't a look especially being that it's my first day.

"Micah," A stern tone I recognized to be Kobe's voice, once I turned my head in his direction. The girl's conversation quieted down a little, as he nodded for me to follow him into his office. My cheeks heated from the unwanted attention, as I followed him into his office.

He went around desk, as I proceeded to check out the atmosphere. It was previous years of pictures of the girls on this team. Such as, the championship pictures or in action pictures. The one that stood out the most though, was the family picture propped on his desk. Everyone included himself looked younger, and the most recent two of his daughters, weren't in the picture. GiGi couldn't have been no older then six in that picture. It's beautiful.

"I'm glad you texted me and let me know about running behind, but don't get comfortable with doing that. If it was ever to happen again though, you need to get the group chat from GiGi. Let her add you into the chat with the rest of the team. I'm your coach, but I'd much rafter have your teammates know your where about then me."

"Yes sir, I understand. I was just doing what I thought was the best situation at that time." I rested my hands into the pockets of my Nike jacket. "I saw that they had on practice jerseys. I don't have one yet, can I still play? I'm wearing my own clothes." I bargained, while motioning towards the girls outside this very door.

"One step ahead of ya'!" An ever so mild smirk grew onto Kobe's facial. He held up a black sports bag that had the Mamba initial in White. "Here's all you need in here. From your practice uniforms, to away, and home, uniforms." He unzipped the bag.

I watched him pull out one of the jerseys and a smile grew onto my face. "They're nice. I like how simple but dope they are." I observed the jersey, taking it from his hands. Once I opened it up, it was all smiles until I looked at the number. "37?" I read with much confusion.

"37." Kobe steadily nodded, as if he was presenting the best invention ever created by man. His folded behind his back, and I knew he was about to pour some of that knowledge. "Good observation." He smartly replied instead.

"Is this a temporary jersey.. or?" There was genuine confusion between me, and this situation. I've never played in anything so unique.. 37. It's so far fetched to me, I don't even feel like I'd play like myself.

Kobe chuckled for a second, a tapped the balls of his fingers onto his wooden desk. The two of us held a silent stare for a sold second, after the fact. "Did you forget your bet? You said if you won, I would have a number seven jersey for you. You lost." He walked around his desk, and sat onto the edge near by where I'm standing. "Now I have 37. What do you think of when you see this jersey."