Part 17

Ashima got to home and asked her mum, Kalaiyarasi if there's any birthday function happening tomorrow. Kalaiyarasi said yes and will be great if Ashima could come along, it's been years since she met all her relatives & cousins. Ashima was hesitant at first, she wasn't sure if she has the guts to face her uncle, Shekar. She then received a text from Ashwin "Just got back home, I'll see you tmr". "This guy...", Ashima murmered to herself. Kalaiyarasi heard Ashima saying something very softly.

Kalaiyarasi: enna ma, speaking to yourself?

Ashima: (with a straight face), umm, nothing ma

Kalaiyarasi: ok..so, did everything go well?

Ashima: yea, sort of

Kalaiyarasi: why sort of? Did y'all talk about it?

Ashima: yes ma, we did. But you know him, he's still the same. Perusa endha changes um ille, back to square one.

Kalaiyarasi: and you're saying you weren't aware of it? Isn't it obvious? It's not just him, you're feeling the same as well, aren't you? Only difference is that he doesn't hide it like you.

Ashima: maaa...

Kalaiyarasi: so, what have you decided?

Ashima: Idhula decide panna enna iruku

Kalaiyarasi: hmmm, y'all are fine with it?

Ashima: we don't have a choice right, ma? We just told ourselves that we are not going to be making things awkward by acting like strangers

Kalaiyarasi: Didn't Ashwin say anything else?

Ashima: Enna sollanumnu edhirpakura? Did he tell you beforehand on what he's going to talk?

Kalaiyarasi: of course, no! I know both of you very well. I'm sure he wouldn't have given it up easily, unless, you forced onto it, again.

Ashima: apdilam naan edhuma pannala ma, he said he's always ready to start over it again.

Kalaiyarasi: (smiled), and what did you say for it?

Ashima: err..nothing?

Kalaiyarasi: okay! You guys have grown up enough to think and make up your minds. I'll leave it to you both. But, just know that, this life that you're living, is yours, you're responsible for your own thoughts and decisions. No one else is going to travel with you forever, they don't know what it is like to be in your shoes. You get to make a choice on how you're going to live it. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is your happiness.

Ashima: ya ma, I know but I'm just afraid of things going wrong again, it's my biggest fear. I don't think I'm ready for it...

Kalaiyarasi: (smiled) okay da, I didn't mean to make you worried. Sollanumnu thonuchu adhan sonnen. Don't lock yourself up with lots of thoughts. At times, it's better to let go, just go with the flow and trust that things will be fine. Overthinking's not going to do any good. Okay?

Ashima: thank you ma, to be honest, I think I needed this heart-to-heart talk.

A/N: Sorry for the late update, was celebrating #KuttyPattas for an extended period of time, lol. Also, for the next few days, story will be updated just over here and not Insta. Insta account has been restricted for the next 3 days. Will update these parts over there when it gets back to normal.