Chapter Thirty - Eight*

JACK AVERY'S SMILE dropped when he opened the front door of his home.  The guys and him were joking and messing around when the doorbell rang. Coincidentally, Jack was walking to the kitchen to get some water, so he decided to open the door.

Once the door is open, he finds a small figure standing a few feet away from the front steps. They seemed to be passing back and forth, and breathing heavy.  Jack frowned and moved forward slightly to get a better look, but the car in the driveway made him pause; a gold - wrapped Jeep. 

"Faith?" He called out, opening the door wider.

The girl in question turned around and faced the curly - haired boy.  Jack gasped at the sight; Faith has tear stained cheeks and puffy eyes. "I - I can't - t b - b - breath. . ." She wheezed, her breathing shallow and short.

Jack rushed over to her and placed his hands on her cheeks, wiping the tears away. "Hey hey, it's okay. Everything's alright.  You're safe now." He whispered to her softly.

The brunette shook her head. "N - nothing - g is - s ok - kay- y. H - he's g - g - gone."

Jack's eyebrows furrowed, confused.  "Let's head inside, yeah?"  He picks her up bridal style and carries her into the house.

While walking toward the living room, a voice shouts, "Jack! Where did you go?  I want to beat you again in Call of Duty!"

As Jack enters the room, he says, "She was at our door." 

The four boys look up at their friend and stand immediately when they see Faith in his arms, still struggling to breath.  Jonah moves toward them first, "Set her on the couch, she's having a panic attack."  He told Jack.

Jack does as he said and Zach puts a pillow behind her back, while Daniel sits next to her and takes her hand in his. Jonah kneels in front of her, "Hey Faith.  I need you to look at me, okay?  Focus on me. Can you hear me?."  He asked, softly.

Faith nods slightly. "Okay, good. That's good.  Now I need you to count backwards from one - hundred out loud, can you do that?  I'll help. Ready?" He asked.

Faith nods again. "Okay, One - hundred.  You keep going."  Jonah starts.

"N - n - ninet - t - y  n - nine, n - n - ninet - t - y e - eight - t, n - ninet - t - y s - seven, ninet - t - y six, ninety f - five, ninety four, ninety three, ninety two, ninety one, ninety. . ."  Faith stops and takes a deep breath.

"You okay?"  Jonah asked. Faith only shrugs.  "How did you get here?  Did someone drop you off?"  Faith only shook her head, not in the mood to talk; too tired.

"She drove."  Jack answered for her.  "Her Jeep is in the driveway."

Squeezing Faith's hand, Daniel asks, "Did something happen?" 

Faith shrugged again.  "A song came on."  She admitted, quietly. "M'tired."  She adds, yawning.  She hadn't been sleeping well the past few weeks.

The five boys looked at each other. "Why don't you lay down and sleep then. We don't mind."  Corbyn suggested. 

The short girl nodded and laid down, her legs rested on Daniel's thighs.  Zach grabbed a blanket from the other couch and placed it gently on top of her.  After a few moments, Faith's breathing evened out and she was asleep.