Sacrifice

Smut warning! Liketh not, Readeth not

Being the eldest son of the village chief meant people had one plan for Dick: sacrifice. Nobody wanted to get close to the boy because of the fate he faced. For hundreds of years, a Naga had protected the village, under one condition: the eldest child of the chief must be offered up to him as a sacrifice. He'd be taken to the marsh once he turned sixteen, abandoned, and left to the giant creature. Dick had caught sight of it once, and its size alone was enough to make him shake with fear. He'd been gathering water when he caught the scales sliding through the forest. He didn't say anything to anyone. Nobody wanted to listen to a dead man.

Bruce was with Dick the morning before he'd be gone forever, watching as the servants dressed his son elegantly. He had never wanted to do this. He had never wanted to give his son up as a dinner for this monster. The servants were chattering away about idle stuff, like they weren't about to send a boy to his doom. Dick was just standing there, letting them move him how they wanted. They'd emptied out of his room at midday, chatting like it was any other Tuesday. Bruce entered the room once they left, closing the door behind him. "It's really happening, huh?" Dick asked. "Unfortunately. If I could stop this, I would." Dick laughed softly, but it seemed more sorrowful than joyful. "Nobody wanted to get close to me. I'm the boy who's gonna die. I never had friends growing up, and I'm pretty sure my brothers despise me. The servants talk about my death likes it's a celebration. There isn't much here for me. Besides you, nobody alive cares for me. It's just the way things have to be."

"I know. It doesn't mean I have to like it." "Well, I can say one thing. Having you as a parent has made these sixteen years bearable. I'm glad it was you." Dick wrapped his arms around Bruce's waist, hiding his face in his chest. "I'm glad I got to know you. You're one of the most precious things I've ever had, okay? Just remember that." Dick nodded. He knew Bruce wasn't happy with the way things were turning out. He wouldn't be happy either, if he had to give his eldest son to a monster to die. Bruce was probably in a world of pain right now, and his own servants didn't even care if his kid died. "Promise me you'll try to stay safe. Live as long as you can. Try to find something to be happy about." "I promise. Take care of everyone. Even if they didn't talk to me, it's not their faults this is happening." "I will. I love you, Dick." "I love you too, Bruce."

When night fell, Dick was taken to the edge of the marsh. There was a small ceremonial circle where he'd wait until the Naga came to claim him. From what he'd heard, there were tales of village people being woken up in the middle of the night from blood-curdling screams. When they went to investigate the circle in the morning, the outfit the sacrifice had been wearing was left, covered in blood and holes. It didn't always happen like that, but that was usually what happened. Sometimes there would be silence, which would be worse for the people. Nothing would be left in the circle, besides a small jewel. There was a collection of the jewels in the town hall, all laid out with the names of the sacrifices under them. There were only ten jewels, and there had been over two hundred sacrifices. The soldiers left him alone in the circle, taking away the last glimpse of home he'd ever see.

Dick sat there for what felt like hours, listening to the bugs sing. It seemed they were having their own little celebration, too. Soon, if things happened like he thought they would, there'd be blood for a meal. He could feel his stomach crawling with nerves, but he also had a little bit of peace inside him. At least the others would be safe. He'd already decided he wouldn't scream. He didn't want his family's last thought of him to be how much agony he must be in. No, he would remain silent. It didn't matter how big this thing was, nor how mutilated it might be. It was not getting a peep out of him. It would hear the bugs, and the rushing water, and the rustling of the cloth, but it would only hear his voice this once.