The magic chooses the hero

Dick was familiar with magic, and the strange rules. He'd watched Zatana and Zatara cast countless spells. He knew that unless used carefully, magic could destroy the world. Zatara had trained him for ages, just in case Dick somehow learned how to use magic. At first, Bruce thought it was ridiculous. Zatara himself had confirmed that unless fueled by something else, Dick would never have magic of his own. Never in his wildest dreams would he imagine that his eldest son possessed all of Earth's magic 

Let's rewind. It was not uncommon for magic to switch around from user to user. Magic rarely stayed in one person for long, unless they specifically learned it. It was normal for magic to move around, because it was a wild force. Nobody truly understood it. However, that meant magical foes loved to try and extract magic from their enemy's body. Of course, it happened on one of the rare occasions where the League and the Team were together, so that meant several powerful magicians all lost their magic at once. However, because the spell was cast improperly (aren't they all?), The Lords of Chaos lost their magic as well. Nobody knew where it went. Nobody knew if they could get it back. That brings us back to now.

The team was currently in the Mountain, trying to recover from the spell. It had left them all very disoriented, and some had fallen ill. Surprisingly, Nightwing seemed fine. He was playing the role of caretaker, making sure everyone had what they needed. Bart was the first to pipe up. "This so isn't fair. How did you, one of the only humans on the team, manage to avoid getting sick?" Dick shrugged. "I'm not sure. I'd say ask the guy who cast the spell, but he's still unconscious. How's your water looking over there?" Bart looked at the small pile next to him. "I think that's more than I've ever drank in my life, and I'm still thirsty." "Geez. You speedsters and your metabolism." Wally chuckled from the breakfast bar, lifting his head wearily. "Trust me, we know. I still remember when Iris freaked at the first grocery bill after both of us became speedsters. We're lucky Barry's job pays better than it should've." "I know, and now I get to deal with that. I think 80% of my paycheck goes to your food." "Hey, you signed up for it." "I know. Doesn't mean I can't complain about it."

The Zeta Beams powered up, which made Jamie groan. "Great. They're here to lecture us." Dick hummed. "I don't think so. Most of the League was pretty wiped out themselves. I'll check on it. You stay there." Dick glared at Tim, who was already attempting to stand. The younger Robin was one of the ones to fall ill, but he was not accepting it well. Dick walked into the mission room as the beams announced Zatana and Zatara's arrival, accompanied by the sight of the two exhausted magicians. Due to the magic disappearing, Zatara had been able to take off Fate's helm. Zatana was leaning on Zatara heavily. "Hey. You two  alright?" Dick asked, moving to Zatana's side and wrapping her arm over his shoulders. "I'm afraid we've become sick. Neither of us have the strength to care for the other right now, and I heard you were helping the team here." "Yeah, come on in. I can get her on the couch, if you want to fine a chair. Come on, Zee. Just a little bit more." Zatana sighed shakily. "I'm tired." "Okay. It may be better for me to carry her. I promise I'll be careful." "Just do what you need to right now. She's taking it harder than me." "Well, I'm not surprised. You've been using Fate's magic for much longer recently, and haven't been using your magic. Zatana's lost all of hers. BB, La'gaan, make room on the couch. She's very sick." The two heroes scrambled off the couch, letting Dick set Zatana down.

"Okay. It's been a little over two hours since we got hit. If you're not showing any symptoms of being sick, you can go to your room or go home. However, keep an eye on it. We don't know how this works. Robin, sit your ass down." Tim grumbled, flopping back down. He just wanted to get his computer, and a change of clothes. Wally stood up, walking over to Dick. "How're you doing?" "Besides feeling like an ER nurse running all over the place, fine. Hey, Zatara, do you know any reason why I wouldn't be affected? I'm not disoriented or sick at all." Zatara hummed. "There are a few. One reason is you were out of range. The spell didn't hit you." "I was practically the closest, besides you and Zatana." "It could have been your training from all those years ago, where I taught you how to handle magic. Or it may be something as simple as your immune system is strong. Your body isn't sick because it was able to fight it off. Or maybe you're hosting all the magic that was lost." Dick chuckled at that one. "I don't think so. I think I'd know if I had the magical powers of four sorcerers inside me." "Well, they are just possibilities. Why don't you get some rest? Surely you're tired." "Nah. I've done several all nighters, one after the other. I can handle one or two days. However, if they cause trouble, I'm kicking their asses and then going to bed. That goes for you too, Rob." Tim crossed his arms, looking away with a pout. Okay, so he wasn't the best at taking care of himself. But he wasn't going to be an idiot! He was too smart for that.