Part 7: Open up

"Ha! We did it! In time!" Meredith shirked excitingly which made Andrew smile brightly. Seeing Meredith happy was the best thing on earth for him but he was as happy about the fact that her idea would actually work and that they maybe would be able to safe their patient. "Yes! Its working" Bailey said almost singing the words which made both Andrew and Meredith chuckle. "Okay guys! Let's pack our bags we'll fly over to Boston in about 4 hours. Is that okay with you?" she asked looking around at everyone nodding. "Let's save the man!" Maggie said since she had come to peace with the plan which she was curious about at first.

About two hours later all four surgeons met in the lobby of the hospital with a small back each including some cloths and stuff for the night. "Okay there has been a problem. Our private jets are currently all occupied so we have to fly with a public plane which starts in about one hour and a half so we better get going. I called the OB in Boston and she started to prepare the umbilical cord an hour ago so that it'll be ready when we get there tomorrow morning. So we better get going since the flight will take 6 hours" Bailey said and they started to move towards the bus which would transfer them to the airport.

During the ride everyone was chatting except for Meredith who was quietly starring out of the window. The idea of being on a plane for 6 hours made her very nervous since she was still suffering from mild PTSD and hated flying. The whole ride she was trying to distract herself with thinking about something else, not caring to listen to the others talking.

"Mer?" Andrew said loudly waving a hand in front of her face "You there?" he asked with a concerned voice and she noticed everyone starring at her. "Yeah- I- yeah sorry... what were you saying?" she asked ripped out of her thoughts. "I asked you if you were okay since you are really quiet." Andrew said calmly. "Yeah. I'm fine" she said not looking at him and starring outside again.

When they arrived at the airport they brought their bags to the luggage reception, while Andrew was keeping a close eye on Meredith because he noticed something was off. But soon he observed that he wasn't the only one watching out for her. He saw Bailey looking over at her a few times with a very concerned expression on her face, which was very un-like-Bailey he thought, during waiting to check in.

"Okay well here are your tickets we have two places in line 37, one in 45 and one in 56." Bailey said as soon as the check in started and they started to move towards the entrance. "DeLuca, Grey you'll take those in 37, Pierce you're going with 45" she said giving each one their ticket. Since she knew that Meredith and Andrew were pretty close and she could use a friend through this, who would be able to comfort her if it gets worse, she sat the two of them next to each other.

When Meredith and Maggie were currently checking in, Bailey whispered to Andrew: "Take care of her. She doesn't like flying very much". But before Andrew could answer, Bailey was already behind the two woman entering the plane as Andrew followed them.

They slowly got settled in on the crowded plane and moved to their seeds very slow-moving. They put their hand-luggage up in the boxes and sat down. Andrew at the window with Meredith on his left. He noticed her getting tense when she put on her seat belt, leaning back and closing her eyes. During the introductions of the flight-attending none of them spoke a single word since Meredith seemed to be too deep in her thoughts to be able to even attempt to listen. Something was wrong and it drove him crazy that he didn't know what made her so nervous.

The plane now slowly started to roll onto the runway and Meredith yet again closed her eyes, buried herself as far into her seat as possible and pressing her fingers really hard into arms of her seat. "Since when do you hate flying?" he said chuckling slightly, trying to lighten the mood a little but when he turned towards her he got instantly concerned again, waiting for her to answer. "Plane crash" she whispered not moving a single muscle. Andrew had no idea how to reply. She never told him that she was in a plane crash, but considering their current situation he assumed that it was a sensitive topic. Instead of answering he just put his hand on top of hers, caressing it slightly and squeezing it from time to time to give her some stability as he felt it relaxing and loosening the grip into the material of the seat so he could take her tiny hand fully into his strong one.