Part 43: Is this the end?

TW
He laid with her for about 20 minutes, just listening to her breathing until it was time to get up for the surgery with Bailey. When he got back onto the surgery-floor he bumped into Bailey right in front of the door to the scrub room.

"DeLuca, were you visiting Grey?" she asked.

"Yes I just wanted to check on her before the surgery"

"How is she doing"

"She- it's not easy for her but I think she is really trying to get better. She actually ate a full meal this morning" he replied while un-packing the soap.

"That's good. Poor girl, I would've never thought something like that could happen to her but it's mental health it's unpredictable. I hope she'll get better soon. There was one time where I actually thought about making her have therapy sessions because she really seemed depressed."

"When was this?"

"In her intern year, it was that whole McDreamy, McSteamy and Satan's whore drama" Bailey laughed before she continued in a rather serious voice. "I think she was depressed. There was this day, a ferry had crashed in the harbour and the interns were sent out to help but Meredith didn't get back with the others. An hour later she laid in the ER and we were trying to reanimate her."

"W-what?" Andrew asked shocked, completely confused by what Bailey was saying.

"She fell in the water and well- to us it seemed like she- Shepherd completely lost it, stammering how he knew that she could swim over and over again but if she knew how to swim, why didn't she? It took us nearly three hours of CPR, heating blankets and paddle shocks until her heart started beating again."

As Dr. Bailey turned her head to look at Andrew when she realised how she had just got lost in her memories, forgetting who she was talking to.

"Oh god, DeLuca I shouldn't have told you that I- I know that she's not suicidal. She wasn't back then and she isn't now."

"How do you know that?" he whispered, shock still written all over his face.

"She's strong. She's a fighter. And she has three kids. A mother would never leave her kids no matter what it costs." She said reassuringly and Andrew nodded slowly.

"She's going to be okay"

_____________________

About six hours later the surgery was done. The tumour-resection was a complete success and the patient would have a full recovery. But Andrew couldn't stop thinking about what Bailey had said and all he had on his mind after talking to the family was heading straight to the fifth floor and talk to Meredith.

As he arrived at her door he hesitated, desperately trying to collect his thoughts. He knocked at the wooden door and waited for her to respond but when she didn't he just entered. He didn't saw her at first but when he walked around the bed he found her sitting on the floor, a plastic knife in her hand and blood running down her hands.

"Mer! What the hell?!" he yelled, making her flinch as he ripped the knife out of her hand. Her breathing was extremely fast and him screaming at her didn't make it any better.

"I'm sorry that I yelled, it's okay. You're okay" he said, pulling her on his lap while cleaning up her wounds with the tissues, standing on the nightstand. She continued to breath heavily, tears running down her cheeks as she leaned back into him. Over the time she calmed down a little, feeling safe now that he was here.

"How did you get that knife?" he asked, trying to sound as calm as possible while anger built up inside him. He would hurt whomever had given her a fucking knife when they knew she was self-harming.

"I'm sorry" she admitted quietly. "I really didn't want to but I- I didn't know what to do those stupid meds aren't working." She said quickly, her voice nearly inaudible and raspy.

"Who gave you the knife" he repeated, a little firmer this time.

"Nicole" she replied quietly.

"I'm going to kill that bitch"

"Andrew, no please. I'm so sorry I really didn't want to" she said but Andrew was still deep in his thoughts, not really listening to her anymore.

"But why would you believe me anyways." She whispered, trying to get out of his grip but he held her back.

"Please just let me go. I'm sorry" she said, quietly breaking down what seemed to pull him out of his thoughts and back into reality.

"I have to ask you something" he said as he helped her up and both of them sat down on the bed while Meredith was still crying.

"Bailey told me something today. Something that happened in you intern year. She talked about a ferry crash and-" but he couldn't continue his sentence as Meredith looked at him with wide eyes. Shock written all over her face as more and more tears begun to form in her eyes.

"Do you- Do you sometimes think about-" he begun calmly, trying not to sound like he was accusing her of anything but he was interrupted by her standing up, now hyperventilating.

"Get out" she said quietly, also trying to sound calm.

"Mer I just-"

"GET OUT! NOW!" she yelled, making him flinch slightly.

"Meredith please-" he begun as he realised his mistake.

"GET OUT NOW AND DON'T EVER COME BACK!" she yelled again. He just looked at her sadly, nodding slowly before heading out of the room. As soon as the door closed behind him she broke down, loud sobs wracking her body as her tiny form shook on the floor.

He stood in front of the door. Numb. He couldn't move. He heard her sobbing on the other side of the door. He wanted nothing more than to go back in there and hold her in his arms. Why did he had to ask her this? What the hell was he thinking? Was this the end? Would they ever be okay again?

//AN :Sorry for the short chapter but the next one is going to be so intense!!! I'm currently writing it and I promise it's going to be good. I'm trying to upload again asap but I have a lot of work to do with school so it could probably take a little. Hopefully I can write more at the weekend.

Hope you like it so far, let me know. =)

TO BE CONTINUED...