Part 9: Not a good idea

"Meredith? Mer! We have to get up. Our flight will leave in two and a half hours." Andrew said gently shaking her shoulder. "Ughh" she groaned, opening her eyes. "What time is it?" she then asked sitting up, leaning back against the headboard. "Uhm it's 6.15, we are meeting the others for breakfast in 15 minutes" he replied standing up and fishing some cloths from his already packed suitcase. "You already packed your things? When did you had time for that" she said sleepily, standing up herself. He just replied by chuckling to himself. Meredith had always been a last-minute-person, while Andrew always planned everything above in detail.

During the breakfast with the others he noticed Meredith getting more nervous the more time passed. She barely ate anything and just stared into space while she poked around in her scrambled eggs with her fork. None of them talked much due to the lack of sleep since they were still exhausted from the previous day so all of them silently finished their breakfast and headed back to their rooms.

Meredith and Andrew were the first to arrive in the lobby at 7am. Bailey had ordered a cab to pick them up at 7.10am so that they would arrive at the airport to catch their flight in time. They sat down on the couch near the reception and watched the happenings in front of them as Andrew begun to flip through a magazine that had laid on the couch table. Meredith on the other side didn't seem like she was able to relax just a little bit, it was quite the opposite. She sat there, back straight, fidgeting with her fingers in her lap, her leg bouncing up and down while starring onto the floor. After a few minutes he couldn't pretend anymore that he didn't see what was happening next to him, so he slowly laid his hand on her thigh to stop her leg from moving.

"Everything is going to be okay" he said calmly looking at her side. "You don't know that" she gave back, nearly whispering but not looking up at him. "No, I don't know that but I believe in something that's called 'Optimism'" he said smiling, trying to light up her mood which succeeded, she laughed a little and finally looked at him with a beautiful, bright smile. "Thank you" she said quietly as both Bailey and Maggie approached them. "Come on guys let's get back home. When we get back, all of you have the rest of the day off. Except there are emergency surgeries or a sudden trauma." Bailey said with a sarcastic smirk. Maggie and Meredith just smiled knowingly at each other and they began to walk towards the exit to take a taxi to the airport. The ride was practically the same like two days ago. Bailey and Maggie were in a deep conversation to which Andrew was listening while Meredith just stared out of the window. They arrived at the airport half an hour before the plane would take off, so they sat down in a waiting area near the check-in. In his bag Andrew still had the little surprise for Meredith which he had bought yesterday before dinner but he didn't know if now was the right time to give it to her with Bailey and Maggie sitting within hearing-reach or if he would rather wait until they got on the plane. He decided to wait a little longer and instead he just sat down next to her, trying to comfort her by his presence next to her.

Suddenly Meredith's phone begun to ring and she was quick to pick it up. "Alex? This is not the right moment we're about to go on the plane" she said as she stood up and started walking up and down. "No" she said annoyed "No Alex I am not planning your wedding! Do I look like someone who would enjoy something like that? Ask Kepner she is all bubbly and bright and shiny she is someone to plan a wedding." She then slowly made her way back to where the others were sitting while turning her phone off. "Alex and Jo want me to plan their wedding but I am definitely not the right person for that. I mean... do I look like I like weddings? I got married on a post-it note for god's sake!" she said while sitting back down. "You got what?" Andrew asked amused. "Yeah. I didn't want a big wedding with a dress and flowers so we wrote our valves down on a post-it note in the resident's locker room" she said smiling at the memory. "Do you ever pictured your wedding to be big and with a lots of people?" she then asked. "Well... I never thought about my wedding and I don't really think it matters, the important thing is that you love each other. I know this is cheesy but it's the way I think." He said chuckling. It was a lie. That he had never imagined his wedding was a big, fat lie. He had pictured his wedding a million times when he was a teenager. His friends always mocked him about it and that he had an exact plan for his future. The reason why he never told Meredith about his dream-wedding was because of the fact that she was the one he had been marrying in his dreams when he planned his wedding as a kid. "I don't think it's cheesy... it's true. It's why Derek didn't made me wear a big white dress and didn't dragged me into a church" she said laughing but looking a little sad at the same time. "I don't know many men who would have given up their dream wedding to get married on a post-it note. Sounds like he really loved you." Andrew said making her smile and look up again as she just nodded. "It was perfect" she replied right when their flight got called and they stood up, walking over to the check-in point.

When they finally got on the plane he couldn't wait any longer and decided it was the right moment to give her the present he had bought. "Hey- uhm... well on our last flight you said you were cold all the time so I bought something for you" he begun as he pulled out a nicely wrapped package out of his backpack. "Here" he said as he gave it to her. "You- you bought me a present?" she said surprised and slightly caught off guard. "Yes I did. Open it" he replied chuckling. She begun to unpack the gift, revealing a red cosy blanket. "You bought me a blanket?" she asked amused and happy at the same time. "Not just any blanket. It has arms" he said excited. She unfolded the blanket and put it around her back, the arms of the blanket were a little longer than her arms so that just her fingertips were being visible. "Mhhmm... this is so cosy. Thank you so much Andrew I love it!" she said smiling at him and then throwing her arms around his neck, pulling him into a tight embrace. "I'm happy you like it." He said, his arms still wrapped around her back. "I love it. Thank you" she said letting go off him and cuddling into the blanket on her seat with a big smile on her face.

He just looked at her, his lips curled into a bright smile. She was so cute, wrapped in that blanket with a smile on her face, he thought to himself as suddenly her smile disappeared and her eyes shut open. "What's wrong?" he asked concerned about the sudden fear in her eyes which had replaced the happiness that had been visible just a few seconds ago.

"N-nothing. I just remembered that we're on a plane. I know it's stupid. Ugh why can't I just fall asleep or read a book, listen to music... things normal people do on planes. I just want this to stop." She said quietly and annoyed at the thought. "It is not stupid Mer. After what happened to you it is more than normal. Well actually I don't know if I would go on a plane ever again if something like this would've happened to me. I think it's really amazing Meredith, that you manage to even go on a plane without freaking out completely." He begun as Meredith interrupted him.

"In the beginning I freaked out a lot... once I even shouted at a stewardess to let me out while the plane-doors were already closed." She said chuckling sadly. "Thank you Andrew. For everything" she said quietly relaxing a little, pulling the blanket further around her. "Nothing to thank me for" he whispered looking deeply into her emerald green eyes as she stared back into his hazel brown ones. "This is not a good idea" she then whispered, not breaking the eye contact. "What?" he whispered back not looking away either. "This. Us. No. Not good" she said hastily. "I- was not" he said finally looking away as she did the same...

TO BE CONTINUED...

Fun fact: This chapter actually made me add a blanket with arms to my wishlist haha