Part 21: Falling apart

Pregnant

Meredith was frozen. She couldn't move. It was only as her phone rang when she found the strength to move again.

"Hello?" she said quietly on the edge to having a full breakdown. "Hey Mer it's me I just wanted to let you know that I landed and that I'm safe you don't have to worry about me. I'm on my way to Carina's now. I'll call you later okay?"

His voice was calming. It calmed her down just listening to him. He was safe and he was going to be okay. They were both going to be okay. "Mer?" he asked as she didn't reply. "Oh yes thank you for calling" she said, her voice shaking. "Are you okay? Did you get any sleep tonight?" he asked concerned. She closed her eyes and replied "yes of course, don't worry about me you have to concentrate on you and Carina. Y-you can call me anytime if you change your mind and want me to come okay?" she continued wanting nothing more than to be in his embrace while he would tell her that everything was going to be okay. "Okay. Bye Mer" he said and she replied "Love you, bye" and hang up. It was only a few seconds later as Amelia starred at her, her mouth wide open when she realised what she just said. "Did- did I just" but she couldn't finish the sentence.

"I'm pregnant Amy. What am I supposed to do?! I can't tell him, his mother just died and we- we only had sex once, we used protection how can I be pregnant?!" she exclaimed, tears streaming down her face now. Amelia brought her into her arms and let her cry against her shoulder.

"Your emotions are all over the place Mer" Amy chuckled as Meredith begun to cry and laugh at the same time, flopping back onto her pillow. "Why is this all happening at the same time? I- His mother dies. I get pregnant. I tell him that I love him. I-I didn't even want to say that it just slipped. Which doesn't mean that it's not true because I think I love him. And I'm pregnant with his child and I-I have three kids and-" but she suddenly stopped rambling and just stared at the ceiling. "What do I do?" she whispered.

"I think stop panicking would be a good start" Amelia said as she laid down next to her sister, grabbing her hand. "It'll be okay" she added, not really convincing though.

____________________

Three days had passed since she found out she was pregnant. Andrew had called every evening to just talk. He would tell her about the funeral, memories and his feelings while she just listened to him, letting him calm her down by his voice. He told her that it would made him feel better if he could just talk to her about everything and that was all that mattered. He didn't need to know that he was about to be a father yet. She would tell him when he got back, which was in about one or two weeks. He told her that Carina was too shocked to move or talk and that they mostly spend the time laying on the floor all day. It reminded her of how Izzie reacted when Denny died. She lied on the floor of the bathroom for days.

Sometimes they would just both lie in bed, listening to the other ones breathing. It helped. It helped him and it helped her.

The next morning Meredith woke up without feeling nauseous at all. The past days she had woken up around 5 o'clock because of the morning sickness so it surprised her that it had settled now. As she got ready for work she looked at herself in the mirror, slowly moving her hand to let it rest on her stomach. There was a baby in there. This was real. This was really happening.

She hadn't told anyone else and made Amelia promise to keep it a secret for now. It was also surprising that Andrew hadn't said anything about the fact that she told him that she loved him but she was okay with it. They kind of acted like it never happened. He probably didn't even hear it or couldn't comprehend it because of everything that was going on so she just forgot about it.

About half an hour into her shift her abdomen started to hurt so bad that she bent over in pain. She quickly escaped the weird looks from the nurses and went to hide in a supply closet where she slid down the wall to sit on the floor, her hand on her stomach. She knew what was happening. Or at least she thought she knew what was happening. The morning sickness was suddenly gone and she was in immense pain. That had happened before. About eight years ago she had a miscarriage during a shooting. She still had a hostile uterus. The fact that she was able to deliver two babies was a miracle. But this was Andrew's baby. About which he didn't even know.

Another wave of pain hit her as she noticed the pool of blood that was starting to form beneath her. She tried to breath normally as panic overcame her. Then the door burst open. As the light was turned on she saw Bailey coming in. Thank god.

"Grey? What- oh god" she said as she saw the blood. "I-I'm I think I'm having a miscarriage" Meredith stuttered as she took Baileys hand, still trying to control her breathing. "P-please d-don't t-tell anyone I-I n-need A-Amy- Amelia. Please" she said shakily looking into her tutor's eyes before everything went black. 

Oh ohhhh TO BE CONTINUED...