Part 39: Anxiety

As soon as they entered the kitchen Andrew started to prepare the vegetables and grabbed the chicken from the fridge while Meredith took in her usual spot on the counter next to where he cut the paprika and broccoli.

"I'm sorry" Meredith suddenly said, looking down on the floor. "What for?" Andrew said, looking at her from the side. "I just- you're making all those amazing things for me. You cook, you comfort me, you just- I feel like you're doing so much for me and I do nothing in return. And that makes me feel useless but I- I didn't want to tell you because now you're just- and I'm sorry." She rambled, tears streaming down her face.

"Mer, hey. You're not useless. Don't say that. It's okay to let me spoil you when you're not feeling well. I love spoiling you Mer, and I don't want anything in return okay?" he said reassuringly, drying his hands on the kitchen-towel before capturing her lips with his own, stroking her hair out of her face.

After he finished preparing the meal they sat down at the kitchen table. Another loud thunder crashed in the sky, making Meredith shiver awfully, crossing her arms over her chest protectively. Andrew placed the plates down in front of him, his portion slightly bigger than hers to make her a little more comfortable.

"Since when are you so scared of storms?" he asked carefully, looking at her with a worried expression on his face. She continued to stare at her meal, shrugging her shoulders nearly unnoticeable before she jumped at another thunderclap.

"I can't- c-can we watch a movie while eating? It's easier if n-no one's watching me eat." She asked shyly, looking him in the eyes now. "Yes of course, what do you want to watch?" he asked as both of them took their plates and walked over in the living room. They sat down on the floor, in front of the couch, behind the couch table, placing their meals in front of them while cuddling into each other.

"You can choose" she said carefully, relaxing into his side, feeling completely safe for the first time that day. "What about dirty dancing" he suggested with a sheepish smile on his face. "Okay" she chuckled. "Is that still your favourite?" she then asked, remembering the time where they had watched it together for the first time.

"Yes, you still remember that?" he said surprised. "Of course I still remember" she said with a smile as he put on the movie on. He begun to eat while watching the opening with a big smile on his face what made her heart jump as a sudden warmth spread inside of her.

She then directed her gaze towards her own food. There were a handful of grilled vegetables and three tiny pieces of chicken. She took her fork and continued to look at the food, trying to reassure herself that it was okay to eat it as she suddenly begun to hear a voice in her head, getting louder and louder.

"Do you really wanna eat all of that?

Y-yes.

"Sure? You're already fat enough"

N-no I'm not.

"Are too"

N-no.

"You are fat, stop arguing."

I'm not fat. I can do this.

"You are fat and you can't do this. You're a complete failure"

"No" Meredith suddenly screamed, dropping her fork onto the floor. Andrew looked at her from the side, fear in his eyes. She saw his lips moving but she couldn't hear anything. No. She couldn't do this anymore.

She jumped up and ran out of the room, sprinting up the stairs. Andrew immediately knew where she was headed, following her as quickly as he could to prevent her from locking herself in the bathroom. But it was too late. The door was locked.