Part 19: Happy Birthday

"Hey" Meredith said playfully as she approached Andrew at the nurse station. "Hey" he replied, smiling at her, closing a chart and giving it back to one of the nurses at the desk. She looked at him sheepishly, grinning brightly before taking his hands and leading him into the nearby on call room. "Happy Birthday" she whispered, and then kissed him deeply, running her long fingers through his dark curls. "Thank you" he replied in between kissing, pulling her closer by her waist.

"The kids are with Link and Amelia tonight, Maggie is at Winston's and you are going to come over at 8 pm." She said, her lips still just a few inches apart from his. "I have to work until 9 pm Mer" he replied, looking at her a little disappointed. "You are on my service, and I say you come over at 8." She whispered, before placing her lips on his again. "It's an order" she added after a few seconds, her lips still on his. "Well in that case I guess I can't say anything against it" he said with a quiet voice, smiling, before kissing her again deeply.

"Great!" she then suddenly said, distancing herself from him, still with a bright smile on her face before she turned around to get out of the room. He just laughed as he shook his head saying: "That's torture you know?"

Later that day Andrew finished his shift at 7 pm to get ready before heading over to Meredith's. He quickly got home and jumped into the shower, thinking about what Meredith had in mind for today. It took him more than half an hour to pick the right outfit because he wasn't sure what to wear since he didn't know her plans. He was scared that he would dress to casually if she planned on taking him to a restaurant but on the other side he was also worried that he would dress too fancy for a simple but romantic dinner at her place. 15 minutes before 8 he started the car with again a big smile on his face. He was sure that he hadn't ever been this happy in his live before Meredith appeared in his life again. The constant smile seemed to follow him wherever he went because he just couldn't keep her off his mind.

"Hey" she said with that sheepish smile of hers, the same she had on her face this morning. "Hey" he replied as he entered her house in a shirt that seemed casual but still fancy enough for a surprise date, paired with a simple jeans.

"So... what did you plan for the evening because that was literally all I could think about today" he said laughing a little as he followed her into the living room where she gave him a glass campaign. "Well... first we'll eat a nice dinner in candle light. Very cheesy, very romantic, because I know you like that" but she stopped at his slight frown and added "don't worry I didn't cook I ordered something. But it's kinda mean of you to just expect that whatever I cook sucks"

He just looked at her sceptical, not saying anything what made her add: "Fine whatever" what made him laugh. She was amazing in every single way possible. "After that we'll have some dessert and then I'll give you your present" she finished, smiling at him sheepishly again. "I get a present huh?" he replied a little taken aback because she had seemed to planned that evening in every single detail to make it perfect for him. This again showed him that she was really trying. Trying to be in a relationship. Trying to move on.

"Yep. But now...", she raised her glass, "now I give a toast because- I am very thankful... that you're here. That you came back, that you came- home. After all these years." and they clinged their glasses, smiling at each other. "Me too" he replied before taking a sip as she did the same. "Wow this is good" he then said, referring to the glass he was holding. "I'm glad you like it" she said, taking his hand, leading him into the kitchen where he found a set table with candles and a rose in the middle. "And you always say I'm the cheesy-romantic one" he laughed as he was too stunned to say anything else. "I'm full of surprises you know" she said and pressed his lips against his while setting down their glasses on the table.

After they finished the dessert he noticed Meredith getting a little nervous which somehow made him nervous too. "Now, you get your present" she said with a smile on her face as she stood up and gestured him to follow her. They made their way back into the living room where she made him stand in the middle of the now dark room. "Close your eyes" she ordered, as he did so. "Now open them" she said after a few second and as he opened his eyes Meredith stood in front of him. The first thing he noticed was the big red gift ribbon which she had placed at the top of her head. As he just looked at her, not understanding what exactly that was supposed to mean she said softly: "Me. I'm your present"

He now immediately understood what she meant which concerned him a little. "Mer, you really don't have to-" but he was cut off by her: "Andrew. I know that I don't have to do anything. I want this. I told you I needed some time and that I wasn't ready and I really wasn't but I somehow realised that it's no use. I want to be with you. In a relationship. With everything relationship-thingy, which means-" and she made a pause to kiss him softly "which means that I'm your present"

"Are you sure?" he whispered against her lips. As her answer she just deepened the kiss and begun to unbutton her blouse. "Best birthday ever" he whispered against her cheek as she begun to kiss his jawline which made her giggle quietly.

________________

"Mer?" he said as they lied in her bed, both naked, her head on his chest, his arm wrapped around her waist. "Mhm" she replied sleepily. "Are you okay? Because I know this wasn't easy for you but- honestly... this was the best sex I ever had" he chuckled as he stroked her hair. "Andrew" she said as she sat up, looking down at him. Oh no... he had pushed her too far. Why the hell did he just say that. He could have just stopped after he asked if she was okay. Oh god. "It wasn't easy for me. But at the same time it was because I realised that you can have more than one great and big love in your life. Derek was my big love and I have three amazing children with him but, and I know that this sounds kinda selfish, but his death doesn't mean that my life is over too. And before you say anything, no, I didn't just say that I love you." She explained and rolled her eyes at him as she laid back down. "But you also didn't exclude it" he replied a little shocked by what she just said.

"Sleep. I need sleep" she fake-yawned which again made Andrew chuckle. He just pulled her closer to him and adjusted the blanket around the two of them before kissing her forehead. "Happy Birthday Andrew" she said already half asleep.

Heyyyy sorry for being gone so long but I kind of wasn't in the mood for wrtiting but I hope that I'll be a little more active in the future

TO BE CONTINUED....