Part 49: Doing what I love

She woke up in the middle of the night, or at least she thought so. As she picked up her phone she saw that it was 9.10pm. It was still the same day and she had slept for only about three hours. Not moving out of Andrew's arms she tried to fall asleep again but after another hour she gave up. Carefully she escaped his grip and stood up, looking around the room. There wasn't much that she could do. As she looked over to the armchair she spotted Andrew's bag lying on the floor. He always carried his laptop along. She quickly opened it and pulled out the computer, grabbing her blanket with arms out of her bag and making herself comfortable in the armchair. Password. She had no idea what his password was. She tried his birthday, the birthday of his sister, his mother's and even her own birthday but nothing worked. But it had to be a date that had a certain meaning to him. She grabbed her phone and opened the calendar. She was met with an empty page for this month. As she swiped to the month before she found the calendar full, every single minute planned. After she tried another few numbers but nothing worked she was frustrated and tried random numbers starting with 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. And it worked. "You've got to be kidding me" she whispered half laughing. When she looked over to the bed she saw Andrew still sound asleep. She smiled at his cute form as he slightly frowned in his sleep.

Focusing back on what she was about to do she searched for a certain file not finding anything. 'Seriously?' she asked herself, sighing. Again she pulled out her phone and opened the cloud, transferring everything she needed onto his laptop and opening the notes program.

And then she started working on the diabetes study with the mice. Since Jo had left with Alex and she was in psych ward the study was completely in Andrew's hands but since he was covering her service she had no idea who was in charge of the labour now. She didn't know current numbers and she didn't know the condition of the mice so she had to work with the results and notes she had taken over a month ago.

After about an hour she had figured out a new idea on how to start an experiment on the mice but for the experiment she needed the labour. It was so relaxing finally being able to do just a little bit of work again. Full of enthusiasm she stood up and got dressed, quietly leaving the room. Luckily someone forgot to look her door so she was able to walk over to Dr. Wyatt's office. She was determined to get this done now.

She knocked at the door, hoping that Dr. Wyatt would still be there but no one answered. She already headed home. 'Well then...' Meredith said to herself as she tried to get to the elevator without getting caught. But without success.

"Dr. Grey? What are you doing out of bed." A voice suddenly said behind her, making her turn around. "I need to talk to whoever is in charge of the mice studies" she said without hesitation, completely forgetting the fact that what she was saying must sound crazy to someone who didn't know about the study.

"What?" the nurse asked confused. "I- before I got admitted I worked on an important study about diabetes mellitus type 1 and I just figured out a new experiment which has to be started as soon as possible. It could cure diabetes, please let me go downstairs and let me talk to them." She explained.

"It's 1am." Nurse Alice replied. "I'm sure Dr. Bailey is still in her office; she sometimes takes nightshifts on Thursdays" Meredith said with excitement. "Can't this wait until tomorrow?" Alice asked annoyed. "I'm afraid it can't. And if Dr. Bailey doesn't approve it, it won't happen anyways but let me at least talk to her." Meredith begged, smiling at the nurse.

"Okay fine but I'm coming with you" Alice gave in, grabbing her key card from the counter. "Thank you so much I promise if the chief approves it, it'll be worth it." Meredith said as they walked over to the elevator, Andrew's laptop tucked under her arm.

_____________

"Come in" they heard a voice from behind the door and Meredith nearly boiled over in happiness. It was really happening; she was just about to present a new experiment to Dr. Bailey which could cure Diabetes.