Part 50: Love and Recovery

When she woke up she was met with Dr. Wyatt, Dr. Bailey and Andrew standing in the hallway, the door to her room open as they were deep in conversation. No one noticed her being awake so she just laid there, smiling as she thought about last night. Or this morning? She looked over to her nightstand but her phone wasn't there. She moved her head to look outside but someone had closed the blindfolds. She had no idea how long she had slept but she indeed felt more refreshed and relaxed than in a long time.

After a couple of minutes, the three in the hallway realized that Meredith was awake and entered her room, all of them smiling. "Hey Mer" Andrew said, the biggest smile ever on his face as he sat down on the edge of her bed. Meredith slowly sat up as well, adjusting her eyes to the light that had just been flipped on.

"Why are you all smiling?" she asked confused, slightly uncomfortable with all the people in her room. "And what time is it?" she added sleepily. "It's around 3pm, you've slept the whole day" Andrew chuckled, still not moving his eyes from her confused and sleep permeated face.

"We just talked about how the next steps will look concerning your recovery." Dr. Wyatt said. "And?" Meredith asked hopeful. "Well... you're going to stay here for another few days so we can work out a timetable. You'll be following a strict plan for your meals, you'll go to therapy regularly but I think that after those three or four days to see how it'll be influencing your recovery if you start working on the trial again, you could go home." Dr. Wyatt said with a smile.

"I can go home?" Meredith asked shocked, not really comprehending what the therapist was saying. "You can go home in a few days" Andrew repeated, his eyes filling up with tears. "I can see my kids again" Meredith said, tears streaming down her face as she pulled Andrew into a tight hug, pressing all the air out of his lungs.

"Mer- I ca-n't br-eath" he chuckled, holding her loosely to his chest. "Sorry" she giggled, letting him go again. "What about we meet in my office in a few minutes so we can work out the plan. Do you want to eat something first?" Dr. Wyatt said, making Meredith's face drop. "If- I s-say no, you're not going to take back that I c-can go home...right?" she asked shyly.

"I won't don't worry. I understand that it's still not easy and I'm not going to make you have three meals a day when you get home. That's absolutely not my intention. And I know that this plan sounds extremely strict but it actually isn't. It'll allow you to even sometimes skip a meal since you'll probably experience a few bad days in the beginning and probably still after quite a while. But we'll discuss everything in my office." Dr. Wyatt answered with a reassuringly smile.

"Okay" Meredith breathed in relieve. "Okay, see you in a few minutes then" Dr. Wyatt said as her and Bailey left to give Meredith and Andrew some privacy. As soon as the door was closed Meredith started crying, laying back down and curling up in a ball.

"What's wrong?" Andrew asked confused, trying to comfort her while rubbing her arm. "I don't know if I can do this" she said, her voice muffled into the pillow. "What do you mean?" he asked still not understanding what was going on but Meredith just started sobbing quietly. He immediately laid down behind her and pulled her into his arms, pressing her against his chest.

"I can't do this. I mean I don't want to stay here and I want to see my kids again but I- what if I relapse? I- *sniff* I'm scared. And what do I tell my kids? And I'm *sniff* I'm still having nightmares and anxiety attacks and they're probably never going to go away *sniff*" she hiccupped, slightly relaxing into his arms as she opened up to him.

"I'm sure it'll get better. You've already survived so much in your live Meri. And I can't even start to express how proud you can be of yourself for accepting the help and going through all of this. I mean you've just spend nearly a month in the hospital and you never tried to run away or discharge yourself and I'm sure that not many people would've been able to do so. And I'm sure that as soon as you're home and have the kids around you again and you can sleep in your own bed the anxiety will get better too." He said, stroking her hair and pressing kisses into it as she slowly calmed down at his words.

"Thank you. I wouldn't have survived this without you. *sniff* I'm so thankful that you came back, and that you didn't leave me *sniff* and that you are always here to comfort me." She said sniffling every few seconds while cuddling deeper into him.

"And I'll never be not here for you" he said softly, rubbing her stomach again. "I love you" she said quietly, relaxing into his touch. "I love you too" he replied, kissing her again.

"Wyatt and Bailey are waiting" she then said after a few seconds. "I have to get dressed" she said, trying to get up but she was held down by Andrew who pulled her even closer to him. "Andrew I have to get up" she giggled. "Mhm" he said, tickling her side making her laugh. "Stop!" she giggled, trying to push him away but he continued to tickle her. "No Andrew" she laughed, trying to hit him with her tiny ineffectual fists as he leaned over her, pinning her down on the bed as she kept giggling.

"You're adorable" he said before bending down and kissing the tip of her nose, making her even more giggly.

"I really should go now" she said again before pecking him on the lips and somehow slipping away from underneath him.

"Mer?" he said after she had opened the closet. "Yeah?" she said as she pulled out one of his pullovers and turned around.

"I'm proud of you" he said smiling, making her smile too. "You know I didn't want to do it now actually but I- I think that now is the perfect time and life is short so I don't want to wait any longer." He said as he slowly got up, before kneeling down in front of her...

"Andrew..." she said, her voice shaky.

"I love you Meredith Grey. And you make me the happiest man in this world. And I want to spend the rest of my life with you so- Meredith Elisabeth Grey, will you marry me?"

"Yes, yes I want to marry you" she said, tears sliding down her cheeks as she dropped the pullover and stepped closer. The smile on his face got even brighter as he slipped the golden diamond ring onto her finger. It fit perfectly. As he looked up he was met with the most beautiful smile he had ever seen before he pulled her close to him and kissed her.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

THE END

So that's it! I know it stopped a little sudden but I hope you liked the last chapter as much as I do <3 Love you guys and see you soon =)
And go check out my new story 'save me'😊❤