Part 12: The way I feel

As he heard the door close he let out a deep breath of relief. He had managed not to move a single muscle during the whole time Meredith had talked to someone named 'Cristina', while he had laid on the top bunk, unnoticed by her. He didn't know what to do now. Meredith had admitted that she liked him, and that she was actually interested in something more than a friendship. Whoever this Cristina person was he probably had to thank her for speaking Meredith into going with him to the wedding as in a 'date'. Suddenly he felt a big grin sneak onto his lips and he felt the urge to jump up and down like a kid. This was good. This was really good. Meredith's friends actually thought that it was a good idea, which probably, as he hoped, would give her the courage to not run away.

The next few weeks until the wedding Andrew hadn't been on Meredith's service which meant that he had hardly saw her and didn't get many opportunities to talk to her. Being a fellow at Grey Sloan Memorial was exhausting. After the first few weeks of joy and excitement he begun to miss his once used to be free time. When he got home he usually ate something and collapsed into bed, just to get up the next morning, way too early and not really refreshed. It sucked. He loved being a surgeon but it really sucked. It almost felt like he was an intern again. Except he wasn't. Being a surgical fellow wasn't like being an intern at all because he got to cut. A lot. Meredith had let him do a lot of surgeries with her watching but a few days ago she started to let him do surgeries on his own. And that wasn't just because it was really busy these days at the hospital. So even if he got home totally exhausted, being a surgeon and doing surgery on his own was more than worth it. The high he experienced the more time he spent in the OR was an amazing feeling and saving lives was his passion. 'Okay that sounds kinda weird' he thought as he once again laid in bed totally worn out. Tomorrow he would have to get up way too early for his liking, again, but he was excited. Because tomorrow was the wedding. Jo's and Alex' wedding.

The last few months he got to talk a lot to Jo since she was another general fellow under Meredith and he really liked her. They had talked a lot about medical stuff but also met for drinks at Joe's a few times. Alex on the other hand wasn't really someone he would want to get to know. He was kinda cocky and in a strange way a little overprotectively over Meredith. Like he was her brother. But he was a really good friend of hers so he didn't complain. He was happy for them. But he was also happy for himself. Tomorrow Meredith would wear a dress, and that was all he could think about. Of course he had seen her out of her scrubs since they spent a lot of time together but still he couldn't think about how stunning she would look in whatever she was going to wear the following day. Even if he had seen her in a breath-taking dress after the surgery in Boston he was sure that the view he would get to see tomorrow would take his breath away even more.

______________

The next morning Meredith woke up with a headache. She didn't know why though but she started getting ready anyway. Alex had asked her to lead the ceremony because of which she wrote a whole speech even if she thought that she sounded a little cheesy. By the end of the day, she was sure, she wouldn't use a single word of what she had wrote down and just improvise since it was Alex and she had known him since internship. While she helped the kids getting ready her head started to throb even worse so she finally took a pill to survive the day. She had no idea why her head had the intention to kill her since she hadn't drunk any alcohol the past few days nor there was any other source she could think of. Still this was going to be a long day.

While she was doing Zola's hair, her oldest one suddenly asked: "Mom, do you think you will ever get married again?". The question came unexpected. She wasn't really sure how to respond. Derek was her one true love and most of the people wouldn't think that there would be a second one. Most people didn't even think of true love. Derek did. And somehow he managed to get her finding something true about it too. Andrew. She was sure Andrew believed in true love and soul mates. Andrew. The Andrew with whom she was going to the wedding today. Alex. Alex had managed to fall in love after Izzie and now he was even marring her. And she was sure that Alex would call things like 'true love' and 'soulmates' total humbug. Crap. Alex would say it was crap.